• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax payment on 2 flats...need help..!!!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Council tax payment on 2 flats...need help..!!!

    Hi all,

    we have signed a lease for a new flat that we move into on the 1st July, however, through a miscommunication with our existing landlord, we are left paying for the lease on our old flat until the end of July. We move to our new place on the 1st and we won't be living in the old flat after that date. We are based in Scotland if that helps?!

    What I need to know is, are we liable to pay council tax on the old flat even though we won't be living in it or using any of the facilities again? Does anyone know the answer to this? We would greatly appreciate any advice/assistance regarding this matter.

    Many thanks
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Council tax payment on 2 flats...need help..!!!

    if the flat is unoccupied and unfurnished you may be able to get discount from the council.


    • #3
      Re: Council tax payment on 2 flats...need help..!!!

      Your local council will more than likely have the information on line as to the rules for second homes.
      I had to pay both while we had our new place decorated etc even though one property was empty, you may be lucky and have different rules with your local council.


      • #4
        Re: Council tax payment on 2 flats...need help..!!!

        Thank you. I have learned that I have to pay both property council taxes. The flat is furnished so there is no exemption. Thank you for answering though.


        • #5
          Re: Council tax payment on 2 flats...need help..!!!

          I thought as much t cakes, but always better to check as each local authority has it's own rules.


          View our Terms and Conditions

          LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

          If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

          If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


          No announcement yet.

          Court Claim ?

          Guides and Letters

          upgrade to vip

          Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

          only £15/yr

          Offers available. No subscription traps.

          sign up now

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm