• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What would be the Council Tax Liability in this situation !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the Council Tax Liability in this situation !!!

Hi all,

Hope someone can help in this scenario.......

If I have a main property and a separate granny annexe within the grounds of the main property,

My wife and I live separate, just myself lives in the main property and just my wife lives in the granny annexe........my wife is disabled and getting DLA and I am her carer and get carers allowance.........

What would be the Council Tax scenario is this situation?

I'm thinking, nothing to pay for the granny annexe, and 25% discount on the main home!

All help and thoughts greatly appreciated.....

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: What would be the Council Tax Liability in this situation !!!

they both would be counted as separate properties for CT purposes, so your wife would get whatever discounts she qualifies for on her property, and you on yours.
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
      they both would be counted as separate properties for CT purposes, so your wife would get whatever discounts she qualifies for on her property, and you on yours.
      Thanks.....yes I understand that they would be counted as 2 properties but was wondering more on the discounts......there is still a relationship between the 2 accommodations allowing for different discounts..........

For instance:

Discounts for family annexes

From 1 April 2014, local authorities must offer a 50 per cent discount on an annexe within a main property if the annexe is used by the occupiers of the main property or by their immediate family members, including parents and teenagers.

However, an annexe is exempt if it is occupied by dependant relatives, that is to say those aged 65 or over, or substantially or permanently disabled or severely mentally impaired. In addition you will not be charged an empty homes premium on a long term empty annexe.

Or section W under exemptions

If either was to apply, would it also allow for the 25% on the main property!

Many thanks

Comment

hi, sorry i didnt know about this

Discounts for family annexes

From 1 April 2014, local authorities must offer a 50 per cent discount on an annexe within a main property if the annexe is used by the occupiers of the main property or by their immediate family members, including parents and teenagers.
        it will be interesting how they interpret this in relation to a wife that your separated from, but i imagine that her disability would qualify her for full CT benefit and yes you would qualify for 25% reduction on the house...
        Last edited by Crazy council; 25th May 2014, 22:33:PM. Reason: adding stuff
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Taken from:

http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/Publ...inedUnits.html

My relative moves into the annexe. Will he/she have to pay council tax?

Different discounts and exemptions may be available depending on whether your relative is classed as dependent or not , and may vary whether you are in England or Wales. Discounts and exemptions are administered by your local billing authority (council) who will be able to provide precise guidance for your circumstances.

This looks like one you need to approach your specific council about, as without knowing which it is, nobody can give an accurate answer.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X