• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

councils responsibility for not taking action for 9 years re rates arrears?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• councils responsibility for not taking action for 9 years re rates arrears?

Trying to help friend who closed his business due to inability to settle business rates. Arrears began 9 years ago. Council sent liability orders, numerous bailiffs, stautory demands (dismissed) against policy as he did not own property. They allowd this debt to increase by £5k a year for 9 years without taking enforcement action. Should they take any responsibility for this? They had several options. He has no assetts at all and only receives income based benefits. Could they be holding out hoping his finances will improve? Their policy is all about prompt efficient action to reduce debts to the council and consistency. Recently they sent ratepayers to prison forbeing only one year in arrears and owing less than £1000. This debt is almost £25,000. They refused offers to pay from benefits etc. The business made huge losses despite efforts to stay afloat. It was a case of cannot pay not won't pay. Anyone know if this happens regularly or is it a unique situation. Maximum allowed from benefits is £3.60 a week. It would take 120 years to repay the arrears!
    Tags: None

Re: councils responsibility for not taking action for 9 years re rates arrears?

I am in this situation too. My local council has taken action against me for alleged overpayment of council tax benefit dating back to 1995. I have questioned the fact that they should surely take responsibility for not doing something about this sooner but councils seem to be able to do what they like when they like. I would be interested to hear the comments of some of the more experienced posters.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X