• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Liability orders help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Liability orders help

Is there any way to get a council tax liability order set aside ?

I have what I believe is a good reason.
    Robinhood2003
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax Liability orders help

Probably not easy what would the good reason be?

Comment

Once a Liability Order is obtained it can only be overturned by application to the High Court - not easy & not cheap.

Comment

Thank you for the information, It looks like I am stuck dealing with the Axxx Hxxx solicitor acting for the council concerned who appears to have me by the bxxxs for the time being, as he is going all out to get a charging order put in place full time on my property, even after I have made agreed part payments to him to clear the arrears.
        Robinhood2003

Comment

Start at the beginning and let us know how it has got to this stage.

Comment

I was living in the states,in 2007 my wife asked our niece on my wife's side to manage our property in London,pay the mortgage and keep the property let out and in proper condition.

My wife then joined me in the states and as far as I was aware every thing appeared to be OK, mortgage was paid,money from the rent was put in to our uk account regularly, My wife returned to the UK 2 or 3 times in 2008,2009,2010 and was happy about how our niece was looking after the property. We now move on to Dec 2012 we both return to the UK. In Jan of 2013 it was brought to our attention that our niece had been involved in ID fraud,and housing benefit fraud using our property and the details of past tenants taken from letters delivered to the property. Our niece had also stolen a number of tenants deposits over the years and had been untruthful in the amount of rent she had also collected on our behalf. When she realized we would confronted her, she did a runner taking what ever documents she had including every council tax demand along with any accounts or court actions,bailiffs letters in fact she took every thing which would or could be used against her and left us to sort out the mess with tenants who did not have an agreements which included having to pay back the tenants deposit which she stole along with 3 months rent. The only thing we have is letter from a well known letting agency confirming that she had in fact stolen the tenants deposits and some altered agreements to show the tenants that their deposit was safely deposited in a government DPS. In or around the middle of summer 2013 i contacted the council and request to known if we had any council tax outstanding on the property after 3 months they get back to me and inform me that there is.They then send me a non detailed list of the arrears. I was not told at that time that the courts had become involved.I was not told that they had passed the matter to their solicitor.I was not told they had in 2012 obtained an interim charging order or that they had also involved bailiffs on five occasions.
            I of course at the time asked the council if I could come to some arrangement with them and explained what had happened to us but they did not get back to me.

Move on to beginning of 2014, I again contact the council and offered to setup some sort of payment plan and to my surprise for the first time I am told that their solicitor has been involved since 2012 and I need to contact them.

I Contact local councilor(waste of time) ask him to talk to council, He gets back to me after about a week,tells me that the council have passed the matter over to their solicitor and the only way to sort it out is to contact them. He also states that its better you contact them at once as they have already obtain charging order. Well that it in a nut shell! And yes my toe rag of a niece knew very well that she should have addressed the council tax and paid it each year or made sure the council knew who was occupying the property.

Well its way past my bed time can't stay awake any more.
            Robinhood2003

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X