• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax arrears past to solicitor for action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax arrears past to solicitor for action

My council has pasted my council tax arrears to a solicitor.

The council tax officer was un-willing to help me by allowing me to clear arrears by installments and in fact was a little strange as he would not agree to anything, I now know this was because the matter had been past to their solicitors years ago. This was a shock as no one had inform me of this six or seven months ago when I first contacted the council about the matter.

I contacted my local mp who talked to the council who then came back to me stating I should sort it out with the solicitor quickly as they have the power to put a charge on your property because you own them over way over £1000.00.

So I contact the solicitor who is an Axxxx Hxxx and got him to finally agree to take £200.00 a month for the time being.

I had been away overseas for 6 years and entrusted my property to a family member to let it out for me, But she mismanaged every thing and did a runner with most of my rent. She also took all the documents relating to council tax arrears including the bailiffs notices and charges.

The council concerned have ignored my requests for a written breakdown of the arrears and extra charges. In fact the council knew I was an overseas landlord but still instructed bailiffs to attend and debt companies to become involved.

Should I request the solicitor for a breakdown of the arrears or Just SAR the council. Don't wish to rock the boat with the AO solicitor when he can just place a charging order on my property because I have mortgage with a nasty sub prime lender.
    Robinhood2003
    Tags: None

Re: council tax arrears past to solicitor for action

The council cannot just put a charge on your property - they have to take you to court and get a court order first.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetherston View Post
      The council cannot just put a charge on your property - they have to take you to court and get a court order first.
      Yes they can and did so in 2012 when I was living overseas,they took me to court in my absence and obtained the order.
      Robinhood2003

Comment

Originally posted by Robinhood2013 View Post
        Yes they can and did so in 2012 when I was living overseas,they took me to court in my absence and obtained the order.
        Are you sure it's a Charging Order they have obtained back in 2012 when you were away, not a Liability Order?
        I am a Paralegal Consultant.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinkOutsideTheBox View Post
          Are you sure it's a Charging Order they have obtained back in 2012 when you were away, not a Liability Order?
          yes, I am sure, it was issued in my local county court after council obtained liability orders signed by DJ. I am already making payments to clear it.

The council concerned obtained a total of 133 such orders in 2012 according to the freedom of information request I sent them and they have a contract with Newlyns Plc to do their dirty work.
          Robinhood2003

Comment

I had been away overseas for 6 years and entrusted my property to a family member to let it out for me, But she mismanaged every thing and did a runner with most of my rent. She also took all the documents relating to council tax arrears including the bailiffs notices and charges.

The council concerned have ignored my requests for a written breakdown of the arrears and extra charges. In fact the council knew I was an overseas landlord but still instructed bailiffs to attend and debt companies to become involved.

Should I request the solicitor for a breakdown of the arrears or Just SAR the council.
            If the arrears were incurred over 6 years ago, you may not get anything about them with the SAR. All banks I've ever SARd have only sent data for the past 6 years.

Don't wish to rock the boat with the AO solicitor when he can just place a charging order on my property because I have mortgage with a nasty sub prime lender.
            A solicitor cannot just place a CO on your property, the council did because they'd obtained a Liability Order as you stated above, in your absence.

Originally posted by Fetherston View Post
            Once they've obtained a Liability Order, they can:
            If a liability order, is made, the council can:
            • ask the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make deductions from your benefit, or
            • instruct your employer to make deductions from your wages (attachment of earnings order), or
            • send bailiffs to your home to seize your belongings, or
            • make you bankrupt (if you owe £750 or more), or
            • apply for a charging order (if you owe £1000 or more). A charging order gives the council powers to force you to sell your property and pay off the council tax debt out of any money left after the mortgage has been repaid. This doesn’t happen very often.
            Although according to the CAB (the source of the above), it doesn't happen very often. I guess it depends on the council.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X