• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax bill from when I was a student. Help please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax bill from when I was a student. Help please.

Hi, found this forum online and was hoping someone would be able to offer some advice / guidance.

The titles slightly misleading as it's actually my partner who has received a council tax bill from Birmingham City Council for over £3000.

The bill was for a property she was staying at in 2010 when she was a full time student and exempt from council tax, she had only stayed at the property for one year and then lived in a number of other properties up to her graduation, after which she moved away from Birmingham and paid council tax to another council.

At each of the properties she lived at as a student she lived with other full-time students.

The first time she had actually seen anything related to this bill was around two weeks ago - she called the council up to try rectify this but they've requested proof that she didn't live in this property after the first year, this is quite difficult has she hasn't got her copies of the other tenancy agreements. The council also requested the information of the two other students who were in the property, again this will be difficult as she hasn't been in contact with one of them since leaving that property.

The person she spoke to on the phone said that they would provide her with more information in the post, but instead a week later sent a pre-court notification letter threatening committal to prison, Bankruptcy, or a charging order.

As you can imagine this is very stressful for her, and as within her profession she's required to inform the professional body of any court actions such as these (which is adding to her stress) any advice on this matter would be appreciated, we are already trying to gather information from they University, previously letting agents to try prove she was exempt.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax bill from when I was a student. Help please.

Did she provide the Council with an Exemption Certificate from the University?

Be aware that Birmingham City Council have farmed out their back office functions to Capita so the chances are if she rings them it is a Capita employee that will answer the phone. They are known for being less than helpful. They also own 2 Bailiff Co's.

Comment

Hi ploddertom,

She has an email to Birmingham City Council saying she was going to send it but as it was so long ago she can't remember - The University has said they'll send a copy of the exemption certificate and the letting agent who managed the property she moved into after have said they'd provide a copy of the tenancy agreement, so hopefully that will be enough!

Comment

dont rely on other people's word for this ask both the university and the agent to send true copies to your GF. Get these copied and take them to the council if at all possible or send them signed for post .

Comment

What bothers me about this is why the council did not do something sooner? I know that councils sometimes revisit council tax accounts from many years before and decide to take action and that they do go in all guns blazing. It really is unacceptable and yet it seems to happen all the time. You will get good advice on here. Good luck.

Comment

Bit of an update - we sent a copy of the exemption certificate and proof that she lived in new accommodation recorded delivery 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Today, she received a letter from bailiff's "Warning of Intended Bailiff Visit" stating they were going to visit if they don't receive full payment 5 days from the date of the letter (the letter is dated 6 days old)

the letter also mentions a magistrates Liability Order date of June last year.

Is this something we should be concerned about? Also do we have to let them in if they turn up?

thanks in advance.

Comment

Who did you send the Exemption Certificate to? Liability Orders are an Order from the Magistrates saying you owe some monies for Council Tax. No, you do not have to let them in if they attend - there is no law that says you have to deal with or speak to a Bailiff, allowing them in is a really BAD idea.

Comment

just a quickie
                at the time 2010
                was she 18 or over
                Don't let them grind you down

Comment

@ploddertom, the exception certificate was sent to the Birmingham City Council (to the Assistant Director Revenue and Benefits) as per instruction when we called them. Thanks for the info on LO's.

@vanman, she was over 18 but was in full time education at University so was exempt from Council Tax.

Comment

Not sure wheteher you are aware that BCC outsource all their Office functions to a private Company called Capita. Capita in turn also own 2 Bailiff Companies - Equita - Ross & Roberts - so if you ever ring the Council you need to ask if you speaking to an actual Council employee as Capita are known for being less than helpful.

Have you checked to see if the Exemption Certificate has been received and what they are currently doing about it?

Comment

Checked post offices track and trace and it shows the letter was received.

When we call tomorrow we'll specifically ask to speak to a council employee to find out why they haven't called off the dogs.

The letter this morning was from Ross and Roberts.

Comment

I saw on another post to move the car a few streets away if bailiffs arrive. The car on our drive is mine and not my partners, I take it they won't attempt to take that?

Comment

You could also contact your MP and/or councillor, who can help with problems with council tax.

Comment

Originally posted by jack864 View Post
                            I saw on another post to move the car a few streets away if bailiffs arrive. The car on our drive is mine and not my partners, I take it they won't attempt to take that? They will certainly try, they will also try and use the argument the V5 only shows the Registered Keeper.
                            They are only allowed to seize goods belonging to the debtor but they will try it on so be aware.

Comment

She called up today (forgot to ask for a council employee) and they've said they received the evidence and she wasn't liable for council tax but then said they're charging her for the persons council tax she was living with as they haven't had evidence from them. When she asked why don't they chaise the other person instead of her the person on the phone said that she doesn't like her attitude and was going to call off the bailiffs but isn't now, then hung up.

I see what you mean by Capita being less than helpful!

surely they can't charge my partner for another persons tax (even enough that other person was exempt as well).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X