• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I am on a very low income and have council tax arrears...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am on a very low income and have council tax arrears...

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
    I would hope your right Bluebottle problem is as we know the OP may lose the appeals then if bailiffs are on the case the shite piles up.
    I agree its wrong that the council have taken this action while an appeal is ongoing but as we all know its not the Council taken the action its the morons in the CT office who knowing that joe public will pay the cost of their F ups they have nothing to lose.
    Then it's down to the Council's Scrutiny Committee, made up of elected councillors, to hold the council officers to account. Notwithstanding, elected councillors would be expected to take competent professional legal advice as to the lawfulness of the council officers' actions and any action taken in the Council's name. There really is no excuse.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

So as the linked website says we do not need to pat CT???
      The linked website is a FOTL website for determined "Won't Pays". Whether or not the charging of Council Tax is lawful is a completely different matter. Until someone is able to show the charging of CT is unlawful, we continue to pay it until Parliament comes up with a more workable alternative, such as local Income Tax, which has been mooted a number of times and is easier to administer and collect, but has been ignored for purely political reasons.

Comment

How many hours do you work? as you may be entitled to some tax credit if you work 16 hours or over even if self employed, your income is below JSA imho, the issue is that Council Tax is iniquitous in that it does not take any consideration of ability to pay. Indeed when houses were rebanded in Wales, people in social houses suddenly found themselves in the same tax band as 4 bed executive homes, D and even E and the council tax rose to almost as much as the rent, obviously unaffordable to a low wage family. In England although there has not been a rebanding people in newer build homes including social housing, have higher banding from day one than some large 'tween the wars semis.

Exploring wasy to raise your income are paramount here, and involvement of your local council member may be a good ides

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
          The linked website is a FOTL website for determined "Won't Pays". Whether or not the charging of Council Tax is lawful is a completely different matter. Until someone is able to show the charging of CT is unlawful, we continue to pay it until Parliament comes up with a more workable alternative, such as local Income Tax, which has been mooted a number of times and is easier to administer and collect, but has been ignored for purely political reasons.
          Council tax is wholly iniquitous as there is no consideration of the families financial circumstances, and therefore ability to pay. Council tax can be more than the rent in some council houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
            As far as I am aware,,there is no 'get out' clause on Ctax...unless someone would be so kind as to enlighten me

I thought it went,,,Bill..no payments....reminders...no payment...Magistrates=Liability Order=no payment=bailiff
            Unfortunately, Inca, there have been cases where people who are up to date with their CT installments or owe no CT have been made the subject of Liability Orders and harassed by bailiffs. The whole issue of Council Tax is riddled with corruption and fraud and I have a sneaking suspicion that the genie will be let out of the bottle sooner rather than later. Certainly, the lawfulness of CT Liability Order hearings is in question. The manner in which they are conducted breaches Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights which, in turn, places those involved, on the court and council sides, in breach of Section 6, Human Rights Act 1998 and at very real risk of being hauled before a judge and being held to account. Bizzybob recently summed it up very succinctly when he pointed out out that human rights legislation penetrates and impacts on other legislation far more deeply than many believe.

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
              How many hours do you work? as you may be entitled to some tax credit if you work 16 hours or over even if self employed, your income is below JSA imho, the issue is that Council Tax is iniquitous in that it does not take any consideration of ability to pay
              My hours are highly varied and sporadic, and the claims system for tax credit and JSA only works for regular payments. So I would have to do a change of circumstances weekly. The JSA people take the hightest sample and wrongly extrapolate that to every week. Still, isn't it great to be part of the Osborne recovery miracle !

Comment

Technically summonses are issued by the Magistrates' court (according to the authorities).

What issuing means is that after the local authority has paid HMCTS (by credit card) £3 for each summons on the complaint list, the court sanctions the bulk application and gives the authority permission to send out summonses to everyone who appears on the complaint list.

The council (or the council's contractor) then produces the summonses on paper having pre-printed signatures of the Clerk to the Justices (or whatever their title is now). This process is automated with data relevant to each defendant held on the council's computer system. No doubt most councils have outsourced this to contractors who they can screw on price (postage enveloping) so the cost is likely to be less than £5 for each summons which the worst authorities can charge over £100 for Council Tax and £200 in the case of Business rates.

Comment

With respect to you Bluebottle I think the Human rights act and the way councils treat people are some distance apart Councils seem to in some case be run by little hitlers who have all the knowledge? but none of the common sense needed in dealing with people.
                  The system needs to separate the Cant pays from the Wont pays

Comment

With respect to you Bluebottle I think the Human rights act and the way councils treat people are some distance apart Councils seem to in some case be run by little hitlers who have all the knowledge? but none of the common sense needed in dealing with people.
                    The system needs to separate the Cant pays from the Wont pays
                    They will learn before long that unfortunately HRA applies to them as public bodies, the problem with HRA isn' the Act of itself, it is the lunatic Common Purpose interpretations by some authorities and judges of the act that are the problem. Camoron and the tabloids blame the Act and yawp and bawl for it's repael. HRA is the only thing that is protecting us from the excesses of ConDem policy. Think Labour are any better? they are as riddled with corruption and cronyism as the other two.

Comment

How long has this act been in force in this country?

Comment

How long has this act been in force in this country?
                        1998, but it's impact is only really being fully considered and applied in the last few years on the back of these unacoounable quangos, and ConDem policy. If it is applied correctly it could scupper a whole tranche ot policies mooted by the LibLabCon three parties.

Abyway to get back on topic, we need to looka t ways OP can tackle this issue, and see where there may be a benefit or income enhancement.

Comment

So its been ignored for so long why does anyone think it will change now,Labour Conservatives or whoever as we all know do not give a flying F for the people only their buddies and paymasters it will never change

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                            To be honest, Wales, the OP's local council has been somewhat premature scuttling off to the magistrates when it appears they are aware of the matter of the OP's benefits being subject to a hearing before the Upper Tier Tribunal. If the Tribunal finds for the OP, the council are stuffed and could face a hefty bill which the taxpayer will no doubt foot.
                            I was not aware that my benefits are subject to a hearing before the Upper Tier Tribunal ? And what is the Upper Tier Tribunal ? What happened was the JobCentre people said I couldn't claim because I had part-time work ? I suspect now they were lying...

Comment

I would hope your right Bluebottle problem is as we know the OP may lose the appeals then if bailiffs are on the case the shite piles up.
                              I agree its wrong that the council have taken this action while an appeal is ongoing but as we all know its not the Council taken the action its the morons in the CT office who knowing that joe public will pay the cost of their F ups they have nothing to lose.
                              Have discovered I put a post on the wrong thread, Wales. Amend you post accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthTower View Post
                                I was not aware that my benefits are subject to a hearing before the Upper Tier Tribunal ? And what is the Upper Tier Tribunal ? What happened was the JobCentre people said I couldn't claim because I had part-time work ? I suspect now they were lying...
                                Sorry about that. There is another Beagle who has a case going to the Upper Tier Tribunal and I mixed up the two threads. Been exposed to too much fly spray again. Lol!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X