• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I am on a very low income and have council tax arrears...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am on a very low income and have council tax arrears...

I am on a very low income and have council tax arrears...

I have had papers from my council that claim to be from the local magistrates court, but look the same as from the council tax ?

They say the court has awarded the council a liability order against me, but I haven't received any actual papers from the court ?

It looks to me like they are pretending to be a court ?

Re: I am on a very low income and have council tax arrears...

Liability Orders are done in bulk so what you have will be correct.

Comment

But shouldn't it have to come from the court itself, or is that what you mean by 'done in bulk' ?

Comment

I did not attend the hearing, as I could not afford the bus fare. I am self-employed making about £40 a week, I was told I can't claim JSA, and the council want 239.87

Comment

Can you not claim Council tax Benefit? What are your family circumstances? Are the Council aware of your circumstances?

Comment

My council tax amount is about £15.00 a week,I am claiming council tax benefit, for most of the amount due, so they awarded me about £13.50 a week but there is a left over balance of about 1.50 a week, that I just can't afford to pay, as my weekly self-employed income is between 25 - 50 a week. So the debt has built up at the rate of about £1.50 a week. I have sent them detailed statements of my accounts several times. I am single, no dependents, and claiming housing benefit for my rent to a social landlord.

Comment

Any chance of scanning and posting up the papers you received, please? Evidence is emerging that the collection of Council Tax is riddled with fraud and corruption and Liability Order hearings breach Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights (aka The Rome Convention). In short, the way in which local authorities and magistrates courts conduct the process is almost certainly unlawful.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Would the best advice be for the OP to make a repayment arrangement with the council before the bailiffs get involved and add fees that will add to the stress of the debt.
                Then fight the council the chances are they may lose and if the bailiffs have got involved the debt will rise and all the shite that goes with the bailiffs.

Comment

Deleted.
                  Last edited by bluebottle; 9th February 2014, 11:24:AM. Reason: Posted on wrong thread. Doh!

Comment

Further to my question, is the stuff about liability orders in this link true ? http://www.landofthefree.co.uk/site/...-get-summonsed

Comment

Will do....but I will need a little while to blank out my personal details....please see my recent posting also on what looks like a related issue...

Comment

I would hope your right Bluebottle problem is as we know the OP may lose the appeals then if bailiffs are on the case the shite piles up.
                        I agree its wrong that the council have taken this action while an appeal is ongoing but as we all know its not the Council taken the action its the morons in the CT office who knowing that joe public will pay the cost of their F ups they have nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthTower View Post
                          Further to my question, is the stuff about liability orders in this link true ? http://www.landofthefree.co.uk/site/...-get-summonsed
                          The whole issue of Council Tax Liability Orders is a sham. As stated in one of my earlier posts, the court hearings breach Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights and, in all probability, Articles 17 and 18, also. This means they are almost certainly unlawful. This, in turn, impacts on the lawfulness of the Liability Orders and enforcement action.

Comment

So as the linked website says we do not need to pat CT???

Comment

Originally posted by NorthTower View Post

As far as I am aware,,there is no 'get out' clause on Ctax...unless someone would be so kind as to enlighten me

I thought it went,,,Bill..no payments....reminders...no payment...Magistrates=Liability Order=no payment=bailiff

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X