• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax

Hi I'm deeply troubled and scared. I'm unemployed. My wife
    Has recently fallen I'll and hv reduced her hours of work and is in part time. I hv been receiving letters from the council to pay my old council tax. I didn't hv any means to pay so I was scared even to open them and hide them from my wife. A bailiff visited my home but my wife didn't allow him in. She contacted the council but they refused to discuss anything with her and when she contacted the bailiffs asking for a payment plan she was advised to call and speak to a another dept where they would come and assess the assets in the house and discuss a plan. We are not sure of this and yesterday some guys came around banging the door and demanding it be opened. My neighbours were annoyed and informed us. For the two houses the council tax amount is about £1,200 but with all other charges it has rocketed too much. We don't have any savings and have 4 young children. I live in a rented flat. Please advised what should I do? For the current flat we are on council tax and housing benefit.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax

I've asked that your thread be moved to the Bailiff Forum so you get more advice.

Comment

Done
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
        2 - the dates they were obtained
        3 - the addresses they were for
        4 - the period of time each covers
        5 - how much each one was for
        6 - how much is still outstanding
        7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
        8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Something for you to do on Monday. If necessary tell the Council you give permission for your wife to speak to them.

Comment

In the meantime keep any car away from the house, and DO NOT let the bailiff in. There is no law that says you must let them in or even deal with a bailiff.

Comment

Firstly, well done for facing up to this - it won't go away, so you've done the right thing in seeking help.

Something else you could usefully spend some time doing is looking at your household income and expenditure and trying to come up with an affordable and sustainable figure that you could repay on a weekly / monthly basis to the council. This is purely for your use at the moment.

Two final questions - you state that this debt is for your old CT bill. Can you afford to pay your CT and other bills now?

Finally, you state your wife has fallen ill. Are there any elements of mental health issues to her illnesses? Sorry to ask, but it could be relevant.

Just to emphasise there is nothing in law to force you to deal with the bailiffs. If you totally ignore them, stop them gaining entry to your property or gaining a levy on anything of worth outside (usually a vehicle), then the most you will end up owing them is £42.50. If you have a car, move it a few streets away. DON'T LET THEM IN! :beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X