• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax

Hi
    Today i received a Council Tax Final Notice even though i am up to date with all payments! What can i do about it i pay within the month every month am at a loss to why they are demanding the full amount Can somebody help
    Tags: None

Re: council tax

if you have paid worth checking its up to date you may be able to do it online if correct nothing to worry about

Comment

Are you paying on the 1st of the month or just as you can?

Comment

How many times have the Council written to you to ask you to bring your account up to date?

Comment

Hi sem grant, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

It seem like there's just a communication breakdown.

No panic; I'm sure one of our CT gurus will be along in a short while.

Edit: There you go!
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by sem grant View Post
            Hi
            Today i received a Council Tax Final Notice even though i am up to date with all payments! What can i do about it i pay within the month every month am at a loss to why they are demanding the full amount Can somebody help
            I had a similar experience a few years ago and I rang the council to ask why they'd sent that demand when I'd paid every month. :noidea: The answer was that sometimes the payments were received late (a few days) and that they ran an automated system where payments not received on time were flagged, and that triggered a reminder which was also sent automatically. They only send 2 reminders in any council tax year, after that it's a final demand for the full amount followed by summons. When I spoke to them, they were agreeable and advised to set up a direct debit to make sure payments were always made on the dot. :thumb:

Comment

well i pay via pay point because i was told if done via direct debit they would take payments out of my account instead of 10 months i dont always pay on the 1st just when i am not at work they sent me a reminder for last months but i had already paid it but i believe that is the first time i have got one

Comment

If you pay via PayPoint then this can take up to 5 working days to reach the Council. Usually there is a little bit of leeway but say you paid on the 7th of the month which was a Saturday, then the first day to be counted would be the 9th on a Monday & it may clear the following Friday the 13th which might just trigger a "late" payment flag.

Council Tax is due in full in clear funds on 1st April each year. As a dispensation you are allowed to pay in instalments - usually over 10 or 12 months. If you fail to pay as has been said previously then the whole lot outstanding becomes payable immediately.

The Council could be seeking a Liability Order to:
                a - secure the debt & if you default enforcement action can be taken
                b - seize the chance increase their pot from the charge of the Liabilty Order - they pay £3 and can charge you up to £150
                or
                They make take no further action if you agree to pay by DD.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                  The Council could be seeking a Liability Order to:
                  a - secure the debt & if you default enforcement action can be taken
                  b - seize the chance increase their pot from the charge of the Liability Order - they pay £3 and can charge you up to £150
                  c - profit even more from you by sending in bailiffs with whom they have a "profit sharing" agreement, like Harrow Borough Council does.
                  or
                  They make take no further action if you agree to pay by DD.
                  I've fixed your post for you.

Comment

You make a very good point PT..my HA recently wrote to us all saying if we paid our rent on a Thursday/Friday/Weekend..it would not hit our accounts until the following week and thus would trigger 'arrears' letters,,(of course constant arrears letters would give them elbow room if they ever decided to evict folks,,not that they tell you that).

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                      You make a very good point PT..my HA recently wrote to us all saying if we paid our rent on a Thursday/Friday/Weekend..it would not hit our accounts until the following week and thus would trigger 'arrears' letters,,(of course constant arrears letters would give them elbow room if they ever decided to evict folks,,not that they tell you that).
                      I know a HA that tried to obtain an eviction/possession order for late payment of rent. It didn't work because the judge ruled a clause in the tenancy agreement saying words to the effect, "If you are late paying your rent, we will seek possession or evict you," unfair and threw the case out. It cost the HA a pretty penny because they had to pay not only their own legal costs, but also those of the tenant whom they tried to evict as well. Not surprisingly, the CEO of the HA resigned shortly afterwards along with most of the board. A new board was appointed and things have been okay ever since.

CT is, of course, a different kettle of fish altogether.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X