• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

But regardless of their wrong doings, alas nothing will change. It will be business as usual.
    An appology was only offered because they were caught out.
    Both Newlyn or CCC seem to have little interest in what either party does or says and a lame appoligy does not compensate for the stress and harrasment I have had to endure over the last few months.

I can totally understand why people take their own lives when being intimidated by companies and official bodies that these pair.

I have had two breakdown in the past and would probably had another if their harrasment continued any longer.
    I have had to give up work because of the stress and my dad had to pay these parasites off as I recieve nothing in the way of benefits, as the job centre says I left my job of my own accord and may have to wait 26 weeks to receive job seekers allowance.

So thank you CCC and Newlyn, you have totally changed my life, unfortuately not in a good way.

Comment

I think Celestine is going to pursue this further isn't she? I'm sure I read something yesterday. They should not be allowed to get away with such a flagrant breach of guidelines, and unlawful demands which have cost you your job.

Have you asked for a copy of their formal complaints procedure? If not, you should do so.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
        I think Celestine is going to pursue this further isn't she? I'm sure I read something yesterday. They should not be allowed to get away with such a flagrant breach of guidelines, and unlawful demands which have cost you your job.

Have you asked for a copy of their formal complaints procedure? If not, you should do so.
        Why?

It won't do a scrap of good, as it is CCC's deliberate and stated policy not to consider as complaints any reports of problems with bailiffs, nor even to record such a problem as a complaint. See paragraph 3.3 of the attached flim-flam.

3.3 Customer comments, requests for service, or reports of problems are not considered to be complaints and will not be recorded as such.
        There you have it - the reason why the FOIA request was truthfully answered when they replied that no complaints about Newlyns had been recorded since the contract began; by the above statement, no complaints about Newlyns would ever be recorded and CCC could blithely pretend that all is perfect.

One might choose to believe that it is deliberate maladministration, but I, of course, could not possibly comment.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
          I have had to give up work because of the stress and my dad had to pay these parasites off as I recieve nothing in the way of benefits, as the job centre says I left my job of my own accord and may have to wait 26 weeks to receive job seekers allowance.

So thank you CCC and Newlyn, you have totally changed my life, unfortuately not in a good way.
          Will your doctor back this up and sign you off? If so claim ESA

these parasites like Newlyn must be named and shamed, with enforcement and distress as a remedy shown to be medieval, ineffective and no part of the 21st Century

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
            Will your doctor back this up and sign you off? If so claim ESA

these parasites like Newlyn must be named and shamed, with enforcement and distress as a remedy shown to be medieval, ineffective and no part of the 21st Century
            Don't forget CCC's culpability!

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum. And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on; While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.
            [1872 A. De morgan Budget of Paradoxes 377]

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

How about a FOIA request, with particular emphasis on the 'kickback' which I believe all LA's organise when the contract goes out to tender to CEO firms?
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

It will be interesting to see Coventry Telegraph's response when Celestine gets in touch with them. If they view this thread, they'll see just what bad publicity this one case is giving Coventry CC and Newlyns. Hopefully they will publish an article sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                  It will be interesting to see Coventry Telegraph's response when Celestine gets in touch with them. If they view this thread, they'll see just what bad publicity this one case is giving Coventry CC and Newlyns. Hopefully they will publish an article sooner rather than later.
                  At which point CCC and Newlyn will wish Levison had brought absolute press censorship in

Comment

Well I wait with antisipation further rumbles to CCC and Newlyns collection practices in the media.

Comment

Well no sign of any appology yet, regardless of what they told Celestine

Comment

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
                        Well no sign of any apology yet, regardless of what they told Celestine
                        That is a shame, but worth giving it a few more days before this is followed up. Especially given the statements below from the Site Owner:

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                        Hi Kate,
                        Sorry for the delay.

Here's our response.

A Council spokesperson said: " The Council has discussed the issue with Newlyn Plc and we would like to apologise to Mr XXXX for the letter issued and for any distress it has caused.

"Mr XXXX settled the outstanding Council Tax arrears by instalments, but left outstanding £42.50, a sum equal to the visit fees incurred on the account. A letter was sent asking for the remaining balance, which did include details of potential bankruptcy action. The Council and Newlyn accept entirely that this was inappropriate due to the small balance that remained outstanding.

"We will be contacting Mr XXXX to apologise for the error and, together with Newlyn, we will look at processes and work to ensure letters are issued correctly."

Thanks,
                        John.

TWEETED :beagle:

I copied the posts over from Cornish Pasty's original thread so that Twitter visitors would be able to get to the story without trawling 160+ posts!

Original Thread Here:http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...RE-Council-Tax

Ploddertom suggested a FOI to Coventry City Coucil to ascertain how many of these letters have been sent to debtors owing less than £750.

It is pure fantasy to think Cornish Pasty was the very first victim?

When I spoke to Newlyn Bailiffs, they tried to claim the debt could lead to Bankruptcy and Committal to Prison. I agreed that 'theoretically' it could lead to committal, but that it could never lead to bankruptcy, therefore they were in breach of debt collection guidelines.

After checking with 'the manager' he further insisted that Coventry City Council was 'aware and supportive' of their collection letters.

Coventry City Council clearly were unaware of such letters and therefore guilty of weak contract management. Reassuring....not

So LB will send off a FOI next week to ascertain how many of these have been sent out.

On a positive note however, I do love the power of Twitter! This thread has had hundreds of views and I plan to keep retweeting it.
                        I've also got in touch with the Coventry Telegraph.

These are several posts merged into one quotation, I've separated different posts with spaces. Many of us have Tweeted and retweeted and tweeted to CCC etc.... LB formally retweeted it on August 6th, so could well be time to retweet with a note saying no apology received yet.

The FOI request may have gone, or may still be in the pipeline? I don't know, but it is clearly stated it's going to go from LB.

Has anything happened with the Coventry Telegraph? I think it has on Twitter, but am unsure whether reporters have been alerted to the story.

Originally posted by Inca
                        Of course it will happen again,,and hopefully LB will find out about it and use the same rod :whip: to whip them with time and time again........I guarantee they will get bored before Celestine does.....and they do say 'every little helps'
                        Indeed, let's hope so. There are so many things happening at present which warrant huge publicity on LB due to the injustices being done and the blatant ongoing illegal behaviour by entire police forces which, as yet, don't even get a mention due to other pressing posts.

All merit being made public in a big way. This is just one issue and I sincerely hope for Cornish Pasty that he gets the justice he deserves over this and at minimum a written apology from Newlyns and Coventry Council who are, of course, vicariously liable for the conduct of Newlyns.

Comment

@Labman "ndeed, let's hope so. There are so many things happening at present which warrant huge publicity on LB due to the injustices being done and the blatant ongoing illegal behaviour by entire police forces which, as yet, don't even get a mention due to other pressing posts. "

There are definite issues with police farces unlawfully supporting bailiffs and acting ultra vires by aiding and abetting the bailiff by treating civil parking penalties as criminal, as in stopping a vehicle at a checkponit when the bailiffs ANPR goes ding. They claim this is a "Crime Reduction" partnership as often DWP will also be present to look for people working and claiming JSA. The whole issue needs looking at it smacks of Common Purpose.

Hope Cornish Pasty gets that apology, but he is undoubtably oner of many, and I feel the issue of these letters in not liminted to Coventry, it probably exists in any council wherever Newlyn are the contracted enforcement company.
                          Last edited by bizzybob; 9th August 2013, 06:17:AM. Reason: extra opinion

Comment

The letter from Newlyn is a disgrace and the contact person at the Coventry Telegraph is Les Reid. I have spoken to him a few times. If you need contact details let me know.

Well done for bringing this into the public domain.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
                              The letter from Newlyn is a disgrace and the contact person at the Coventry Telegraph is Les Reid. I have spoken to him a few times. If you need contact details let me know.

Well done for bringing this into the public domain.
                              Let's try to send this one National and viral, Newlyn must be doing this in other councils, and the debtors are being treated unfairly and abominably.

Comment

Why don't the television press/bbc watchdog type programmes pick up on things like this?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X