• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Payment types accepted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payment types accepted

Does anyone know whether the council are entitled to refuse partial cheque payments for CT installments. As those of you who kno me on this forum my councilis difficult and I was going to pay part of my council tax with cheques to the value of 1p . I am looking for a printer at the moment who will be able to pring them in big batches so that the entire payment can be made this way . do the council have any right to refuse payment this way?
    Tags: None

Re: Payment types accepted

rofl:cheer2:

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
    Does anyone know whether the council are entitled to refuse partial cheque payments for CT installments. As those of you who kno me on this forum my councilis difficult and I was going to pay part of my council tax with cheques to the value of 1p . I am looking for a printer at the moment who will be able to pring them in big batches so that the entire payment can be made this way . do the council have any right to refuse payment this way?

Comment

msl:

Comment

Talk about taking the p! :grin:
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

You could write a cheque on a paving stone and give that to them. It's been done.

Comment

Remeber the sketch where Tommy Cooper wrote one on a cow?

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
            You could write a cheque on a paving stone and give that to them. It's been done.

Comment

I once got a scottish £20 note refused in a shop (even tho they are legal tender)...so I paid £1.74 by every little bit of shrapnel (coins) and dust I could find in my purse/handbag..along with old chewing gum..a broken lipstick..childs dummy..spare nappy (yes Jack WAS a baby) all emptied out on the shop counter,,with a massive queue behind me

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
                Cheques are not legal tender in the UK. Nobody has to accept them, and they cannot be used in fulfilment of a debt unless the receiver accepts them as such. So yes, the council can refuse them, which would leave you with a bunch of worthless worthless cheques and a printers bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                  Cheques are not legal tender in the UK. Nobody has to accept them, and they cannot be used in fulfilment of a debt unless the receiver accepts them as such. So yes, the council can refuse them, which would leave you with a bunch of worthless worthless cheques and a printers bill.

I didn't know that Eloise? since when or has it always been so?

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                    Mine have always had the validity of a verbal contract!
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post

I didn't know that Eloise? since when or has it always been so?
                      It has always been the case. And to save the OP the bother of their next best idea, money also isn't always legal tender. Pennies and two pences are only legal tender to a total of 20p; 5p's and 10p's up to £5; 20p's and 50p's up to £10. That is why the bank reserves the right not to take the contents of your money box!

Comment

​50 years I've trodden this 'ere planet and I never knew that,,I honestly didn't !!

Comment

Just thinking of paying with one p cheques is the daftest idea ive see on LB as Eloise says a cheques is not legal tender so the council may well refuse and as has been said the OP wasted paper and a printer,i dont usually side with a council but this one gets my support to chase the debt however they want ,A CT debt does not go away easily but the bailiffs if called for the debt just add on loads of charges
                          Whatever next???????????

Comment

Dont get me wrong , I will pay them and I am aware of the change limits. I checked the Royal mint website. It's not to do with not paying it's to do with protesting about theiniquity of the CT system .

Comment

I'll normally fight to the 'enth' degree to make my point but I can't see the point of making myself a target to councils etc...I leave them alone...they leave me alone...works for me.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X