• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do I have to pay council tax?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to pay council tax?

Hello everyone,

I'm a 23 year old French woman. I've been in England for 4 years, legally worked in an office and paid for my council tax when I was living by myself.

Due to mental health issues (I won't go into detail but a deep depression due to an abusive ex boyfriend), a good friend of mine offered me to take some time off for a few months and stay at his whilst I recover, as I started having big issues keeping a normal lifestyle due to the trauma I went through.

I accepted the offer. When I feel better I'll find a new job (I quit my old one last month) and as my contract for my flat expired on the 27th of December, I will find a new flat in a few months as well.

My question is, do I have to pay council tax is this new home? Knowing that:

- I do not work
    - Do not claim benefits of any kind.
    - I'm not registered to a GP and have never used the NHS in the 4 years I've been here.
    - Being French and not registered to vote.

I basically don't exist in the eyes of the country. I'm just "here" to put it simply.

If you respond that I have to pay for benefits, please kindly explain why. It fascinates me this tax. The first time I came to this country I was shocked by the amount of things you get taxed for. But I did as I was told, obviously. I'm in England, not in France. But given my current situation, if I still have to pay for it, or my friend has to pay more, it will seem utterly absurd.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Do I have to pay council tax?

Yes, the tax falls upon the legal occupier. Only full-time students (for the duration of their course), diplomats and military personnel may be exempt.

Too much tax in this country? But of course. The EU and numerous foreign wars on behalf of America must be paid for somehow.
    Last edited by enquirer; 4th January 2013, 08:37:AM.

Comment

Single occupants with certain Mental Health issues are also exempt.

Comment

In fact, here's the whole list:

http://www.eden.gov.uk/benefits-and-...mpt-dwellings/

Comment

Single occupants with certain Mental Health issues are also exempt.

Only if you come under the definition of 'severely mentally impaired' as per the council tax (discount disregards) order 1992 (as amended) & Local Government Finance Act 1992 in which case you are disregarded for council tax purposes and , if you are the sole occupier, exempt from council tax under a Class U exemption.

If however you have vacated your property due illness and to receive care elsewhere and your not returning to the property then you can claim a Class I exemption for the period from when you vacated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X