• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice re council tax and arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re council tax and arrears

Hi Everyone.

I am hoping for some advice on some issues I have with council tax arrears. I owe around £4500 from three different addresses. I am classed as vulnerable as I suffer with what is called a Personality Disorder, this was diagnosed at the same sort of time my arrears started. It affects many areas of my life, now, having come off medication i feel ready to challenge the debt situation. I am high rate DLA and even though i feel ok, there are days things get to much and i can't cope with debt etc. I have asked someone to act as a third party. I do get reduced rate of council tax, they have me as vulnerable. They are asking for £250 to pay the arrears as they wont accept £100 a month, even that is a strain. I am a lone parent as well, and well, you all know.
    I cant get a job, even though I have many qualification because of my health etc.......I appreciate i should have got someone in years ago to help, but i did not, and as i said, after coming down from my meds I feel strong enough to cope.
    Is there anything i can do to get the council to stop sending letters telling me i could go to prison. One letter i got said i should be paying £250 and nothing less will be considered, they then told my partner who called that they did not have an up to date income and expenditure. In fact they were quite happy to share information with her...any help please...
    Tags: None

Re: Advice re council tax and arrears

Who are you dealing with - Council or Bailiffs? How many Liability Orders do they have against you? Have you had a read of this http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax

Comment

hi

It is the council direct, not sure about liability orders, have never received anything. I am listed as vulnerable and my doctor has signed a form dating my illness back to 2003. They have signed a form to do with severe mental impairment. I have an advocate who has written to them offering £100 a month to the arrears, that my condition is long term and since 2003, i have the backing of her. My advocate spoke to the council tax office who said they were chasing for arrears as they are running out of money. They are threatening a means tested enquiry....

Comment

A means tested hearing is not a bad thing as some of your Benefits would not count anyway. You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
        2 - the dates they were obtained
        3 - the addresses they were for
        4 - the period of time each covers
        5 - how much each one was for
        6 - how much is still outstanding
        7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
        8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

At the end of the day your money is yours to do as you want, they cannot make you pay more than you have or can afford. I would suggest to get the ball rolling you start to pay the Council via online banking, Council website or automated phone line. If you do this on a regular basis - £20 every Thursday for example - it quickly builds a payment history which then makes it difficult for the Council to try and take any further action.

Another way forward is to involve your local Councillor(s).
        Last edited by ploddertom; 14th December 2012, 12:25:PM.

Comment

Thank You
          I am going to send them a letter today,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X