• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Thanks and Please Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks and Please Help!

Hi Guys,

first, thank God for sites like this that help 'ordinary' people deal with injustice dealt to them by incompetent organisations who have the resources not to care.

I was recently served with a stat demand for unpaid council tax, thanks to the brilliant advice gleaned from here, I was able today to hold off bankruptcy proceedings while granted more time to provide evidence that the Stat demand should be set aside (on the grounds that an injustice would occur if it was not).

I intended to represent myself but found so many grounds as to why the stat demand should be set aside including abuse of process (and the fact the council were paying a barrister £400 to represent them at a 30 minute hearing) I decided at the very last minute to appoint a solicitor to help me.

The solicitor was not much use in the end but in all fairness he only had 1 day to prepare, had it not been for the fair nature of the judge who allowed me to talk directly to him and the information I had gathered from various threads here, all would have been lost.

However I have a problem where I have not been able find any advice and would gratefully appreciate any help or advice given.

Brief outline of my case (which gets complicated!):

Was on income support for a while and was granted council tax benefit, around 3 years ago I set up my own business which is looking promising but not yet established and I'm on a low income of around £600 per month so still entitled to ctb.

Back in 2008 I received a summons for non payment of c tax, I was confused so got in touch with council who told me because I failed to provide required info my claim had been disallowed putting me in arrears.

After writing to the Chief Payments & Benefits Officer, I received a letter saying he had reviewed my case and decided that they will not proceed with the hearing due to take place early Jan 2009 but the 'debt' was still owed and I should contact the council to make arrangements to pay it.

It took weeks to sort out but eventually found that the council had been provided with all info they requested but they 'misplaced' it. They eventually found the misplaced info and reinstated my ctb which should have cleared my 'debt'.

In 2010 I got a visit from a bailiff who claimed he had a liability order granted against me and that I either pay or he removes goods, he also claimed he had other liability orders.

I denied owing anything, politely refused him access, and told him I would take it up with the council.

The council put the bailiffs on hold while we sorted things. I was furious that after the chief's letter saying the court hearing would not proceed in 2008, it appears it actually did and was granted in my absence.

after weeks of visiting the council, phone calls, writing letters etc. the council could not tell me how the arrears arose but insisted they were owed.

in the end after seeing senior officers they refused to see me anymore or take my calls telling me I could seek legal advice or complain to the ombudsman, they told me not to attend their offices again, made me feel like a criminal.

After seeking legal advice I was told I could not get legal aid to instigate action against the council but could get legal aid if I was defending proceedings instigated by the council. So I decided to wait until the council issued further proceedings.

i kept the bailiffs at bay and at one point offered to pay £1700 (borrowed) but only as full and final settlement, they refused but agreed to put things on hold if I paid them £1700. The next day I visited CAB who told me not to pay and to deal with council direct. The council told me to just deal with the bailiffs.

recently...
    I received an stat demand on 19th Oct 2011, I immediately prepared a response (dug out old letters, statements etc.) and filed an application to set aside. The stat demand listed 4 liability orders, 2 of which I knew nothing about. Stat demand said they had 4 liability orders against me but I never received any summons for any of them.

The process server attended my home 3 times, spoke to my wife 2 times and handed her letters and Stat demand, on 3rd visit posted another stat demand.

I don't know why but I've ended up with 3 stat demands in my name, each with the same details and signed by the same person (solicitor acting for the council) and you can see variations in the signature which is in blue ink proving he signed 3 versions.

on 3rd feb my wife received a notice from court (form 6.7) containing an endorsement saying that a petition presented 10th nov 2011 would be heard on 2nd Feb 2012 and if she intended to oppose it she must do so within 7 days before hearing date.

on 4th feb my wife received an order 'adjudging her to be bankrupt.

she has never received a stat demand in her name and the process server only ever gave her documents addressed to me.

I picked up a copy of her case documents from court and it shows the process server stating he served her on 10th oct and the copy stat demand he exhibits as the one he served bears her name on it!

I was hoping that if I got my stat demand set aside it would be easier to annul my wife's bankruptcy order but now think I have to do something more instant.

my hearing to have stat demand set aside was today, the council's barrister argued that liability orders could not be questioned at this hearing and the correct process if I felt aggrieved was to apply to have them set aside.

I argued (while my £900 lawyer sat back!) that the judge had discretion and that if he felt there would be an injustice he could set aside the order and that getting old liability orders set aside when I knew nothing about them was not a simple task even if a judge wanted to and that it could require a judicial review which was way beyond my means and therefore not a viable option.

The judge asked for evidence and I produced a ct bill for one of the periods claimed as debt in the liability order, issued after the liability order was made and showing zero amount due.

I now have a couple of weeks to provide evidence the last 2 liability orders should not have been made.

My lawyer wants £4000 plus to deal with the annulment with no guarantee i can recover those costs, I just can't afford him so need to act on my own. I wouldn't trust him to do a good job anyway.

I know I got to apply for the annulment asap but am worried it would be my/my wife's word against the process server which may not be enough to convince the judge.

This is a read David v Goliath battle, them with unlimited resources and no care for detail or justice, me with limited resources and dealing with this is effecting my work which means my income is dropping by the day. The stress is unbelievable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but thought you'd need to know the ins & outs to be able to offer useful advice.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Thanks and Please Help!

Have you spoken to your local councillor(s) about this?

Comment

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
      1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
      2 - the dates they were obtained
      3 - the addresses they were for
      4 - the period of time each covers
      5 - how much each one was for
      6 - how much is still outstanding on each one

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
        You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
        2 - the dates they were obtained
        3 - the addresses they were for
        4 - the period of time each covers
        5 - how much each one was for
        6 - how much is still outstanding on each one
        ......... preferably this morning and post back up the answers. :beagle: What a nightmare - I feel for you!

Comment

Hi CleverClogs,

no, haven't spoken to my Councillor, my dealings with him in the past (not to do with this) have been fruitless.

Hi ploddertom,

the liability orders listed in the stat demand are:

29 jan 2009 £2290.61
          29 Oct 2009 £1669.26
          27 May 2010 £2124.95
          30 June 2011 £2144.95

however in their exhibit there's a letter from one of their enforcement officers in reply to one of my letters asking for a list of liability orders they obtained, he doesn't lists amounts but claims liability orders were granted in:

01/07/99
          29/06/00
          31/05/01
          30/05/02
          04/12/03
          29/05/08
          29/10/09

I was on full ctb at the time and have a copy of ct bills provided to me by the council for the years 1999 to 2009 that prove I was on ctb.

thanks.

Comment

just to add, after the letter from them stating the liability order dates, the council refused to discuss anything else with me and refused to put my calls through...

Comment

Originally posted by A54 View Post
              Hi CleverClogs,

no, haven't spoken to my Councillor, my dealings with him in the past (not to do with this) have been fruitless.

Hi ploddertom,

I'll make some assumptions for the years they are for:

29 jan 2009 £2290.61 April 2008 - March 2009
              29 Oct 2009 £1669.26 April 2009 - March 2010
              27 May 2010 £2124.95 April 2010 - March 2011
              30 June 2011 £2144.95 April 2011 - March 2012
              In my view each of the Liability Orders was issued for a full year. Do you have proof of any payment either from yourself or from any Benefits for any of these payments?

Are you aware it is no defence not to pay Council Tax whilst awaiting the result of a Benefit claim. You are still supposed to pay and any overpayment may either be offset a future bill or refunded on request.

Please not I am not making any Judgment here but making a general observation only.
              Last edited by ploddertom; 10th February 2012, 12:48:PM.

Comment

It may be that the Council have themselves mixed everything up and ordinarily would suggest you submit a Subject Access Request to them. It would appear that time is not on your side for this unless you can get the Hearing stayed again whilst you wait. I note your comments about your Councillor - do you have perhaps more than 1 Councillor to try, otherwise I would urge you to contact the Leader of the Council and his opposite number.

Have you also been in contact with the Head of Revenues? If you got nowhere there have you also tried the Council CEO? It may also be a good idea to involve your local MP.

Comment

I would very strongly recommend contacting your MP and asking for immediate intervention. Most MP's are extremely good over this sort of thing, whatever their political persuasion.

Equally as PT suggests, a letter / e-mail to the CEO of your council explaining the situation and stating you have proof (if this is the case) that you were in receipt of full CTB during the period specified. It would also be worth telling him that his employees have effectively banned you from contacting them in order to resolve this, advised you to go to the Ombudsman, but not allowed sufficient time for you to do anything that you need to do.

Can you not apply for the proceedings to be delayed while you gather evidence?

Comment

An email to strobes@private-eye.co.uk should get this appalling tale featured in the Rotten Boroughs section of Lord Gnome's organ.

Comment

Looking at the posts from OP, it looks like this Local Authority has been engaging in abuses of the legal process. The LGO is a must and I fully agree that OP's MP needs to intervene asap.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

In my view each of the Liability Orders was issued for a full year. Do you have proof of any payment either from yourself or from any Benefits for any of these payments?

Are you aware it is no defence not to pay Council Tax whilst awaiting the result of a Benefit claim. You are still supposed to pay and any overpayment may either be offset a future bill or refunded on request.

Please not I am not making any Judgment here but making a general observation only.
                        Hi Ploddertom,

i have all the ct bills from 1999 to 2009 that prove i was on ctb and most show a zero amount outstanding for each year, these are copies obtained from the council in may 2009 - they do not show arrears or mention any outstanding debt.

and yes I'm aware that whilst waiting for a claim to go through you're still liable for ct but this is not the case here, I've also got council tax letters stating I've been awarded ctb.

Comment

i have all the ct bills from 1999 to 2009 that prove i was on ctb and most show a zero amount outstanding for each year, these are copies obtained from the council in may 2009 - they do not show arrears or mention any outstanding debt.
                          But yet:

29 jan 2009 £2290.61
                          29 Oct 2009 £1669.26
                          27 May 2010 £2124.95
                          30 June 2011 £2144.95

however in their exhibit there's a letter from one of their enforcement officers in reply to one of my letters asking for a list of liability orders they obtained, he doesn't lists amounts but claims liability orders were granted in:

01/07/99
                          29/06/00
                          31/05/01
                          30/05/02
                          04/12/03
                          29/05/08
                          29/10/09

I was on full ctb at the time and have a copy of ct bills provided to me by the council for the years 1999 to 2009 that prove I was on ctb.
                          It would appear that the Head of Revenue is severely cephalo-proctally intromitted:

Comment

It may be that the Council have themselves mixed everything up and ordinarily would suggest you submit a Subject Access Request to them. It would appear that time is not on your side for this unless you can get the Hearing stayed again whilst you wait. I note your comments about your Councillor - do you have perhaps more than 1 Councillor to try, otherwise I would urge you to contact the Leader of the Council and his opposite number.

Have you also been in contact with the Head of Revenues? If you got nowhere there have you also tried the Council CEO? It may also be a good idea to involve your local MP.
                            I very much doubt I can get the hearing stayed but at the moment my immediate concern is my wife's bankruptcy order, she just spoke to the receiver, I told her to call him and let him know out of courtesy that she will cooperate fully with his requests and that we were seeking an annulment on the grounds that court procedure was not followed, no sd was served, no notice of bankruptcy hearing was served, and the debt was in dispute. She also asked him to delay any advertising of the bankruptcy.

He was quite stern and asked for her bank details to freeze her account, effectively this would stop her accessing child tax benefit and credit.

I just realised, we got a loan of £20k plus in joint names secured on the house and a joint bank account with a £3800 overdraft that is in constant use, we've been keeping up with payments so no arrears there but apparently they can now call in the loan and overdraft, if they do - I don't even want to think about it!

how do I even start to write an email to my mp? It'd be a long email if I was to explain everything from start to finish.

regarding their head of revenues, i just don't trust anyone in the council whatsoever, one of their senior benefits officer wrote a witness statement with so many inaccuracies and 'untruths' (e.g. the debt was never in dispute and it appeared I only claimed that to avoid bankruptcy! this is despite me AND her producing a number of letters to & from them disputing the debt etc.) as exhibits.

I just think they've really got it in for us and I'm not going to get a chance to fight it, I already feel unbearably overloaded.
                            Last edited by A54; 10th February 2012, 15:17:PM.

Comment

Don't know if this is of any help

Local Government Ombudsman Complaints about bankruptcy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X