• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council T**Ts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council T**Ts

Had a letter recently from council saying myself and my brother owe £500 in council tax arrears. However, payments were all paid up to date as per the local councils calculations and letters. Having queried it, the council said that monies paid to my brother were overpaid (as he is on working tax credits. He is self-employed).

Due to their miscalculations they expect us to pay the full amount of £500 in one go. I find this unbelievable that they admitted fault yet expect the monies to be paid in one go. They will not even accept payments over a 6 month period.

How can it be correct that the local authority **** up, yet expect the public to correct the issue, as well as correcting the issue in one go ?

Surely there is something in the law that if the council cock-up like this it is there fault. This would not happen if a bank or social security etc cocked up, so why do councils get away with it.

I dread to think of old people getting such bills for councils balls ups and expecting them to pay in full immediately. The council are utter heartless b*******.

Is there anything anyone can do ? The local Citizens Advice Bureau were no help.
    Tags: None

Re: Council T**Ts

You could turn this into a formal complaint, asking for a full explanation on what has happened.

You cannot take (for what's it's worth) the complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman without first going thro the Council complaint processes

Unfortunately CT has to be paid by each and every one of us.

Ask them for time to pay or make an arrangement and then stick to that arrangement.

Deal in writing with the Council and write direct to the Principal Revenues Officer for CT
    If you do what you always do, you will always get what you always get!

Comment

Thankyou for your reply.

We offered £10 per month, but they refuse to accept. I know this isn't a huge amount per month offered to them, but why should we pay for their incompetence.

Comment

With this type of thing, often the best way forward is your MP.

Comment

You could always threaten the Council with 'going to the Press' but don't threaten them unless you mean it.
          If you do what you always do, you will always get what you always get!

Comment

Anythings worth a try

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X