• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax witholding my refund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax witholding my refund

Hello, i'm new today.and not sure how to deal with this matter of the department witholding the council tax refund they said they would issue, but it seems they are changing the goalposts to suit them.

THE HISTORY BIT

Mother went into a care home couple of years ago, but didnt inform them as there were plenty of funds in mothers account, so continued to pay.

Since mother has died, obviously then informed them, i was told there was a refund due back to her account/estate as mother didnt need to pay all the time she was in a care home therefore she was exempt.

I also informed them that the funds were depleted now, as I am the executor. ( what I know now, I wish I wasn't honest and told them this) maybe., as they are using this knowledge against me now. If I hadn't of told them this, they would be none the wiser!

Phone calls took place and was told to return the death certificate and probate in order for the refund.

I duly signed the refund slip they sent me with bank details etc. and sent back to them.

They seemed to be dragging this out I came to realise., as the latest bills for the coming year are being sent out now.

THE LATEST

Phone call yesterday, and was told that as I had informed them months ago about no funds left in mothers account, they have used that against me, said they will not refund and will take the full 2024/25 bill in one payment.

I argued and said, No, I will set up a DD payment after they have sent the refund.

I'm happy to pay 6months up front deduction, but I told them, I would like the remainder to be refunded as I still have to pay a little bit towards the Service charge of the flat, as they are coming after me now too.

The conversation yesterday was left in limbo after I said I would pay by DD. She needed to talk to her manager and get back to me.

Do they have a legal right to withold the refund..... surely they or I dont know what will happen in the future, and I would deal with it then as it comes along.
    They are also aware that mother has a flat which I'm trying to sell, been on the market for quite a while now.

Any advice I would be grateful.
    Many thanks

Last edited by ELREM2539; 15th March 2024, 14:45:PM.
    Tags: None

Hi ELR

Welcome to LB

Sorry for your loss.

Don't speak to them over the phone, email so you can keep track of what they are saying.

The Council will have a Complaints procedure on their website, follow that. If you still unhappy once you get a final response / deadlock letter, then you might be able to complain to the LGO.

Hopefully islandgirl can advise on this.

Comment

I am rather confused about the situation but my advice is a) go in and see someone at the council. Make an appointment. b) speak to your local councillor for help and advice. They will know who to talk to (or can find out if they do not)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X