• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenants not paid council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants not paid council tax

Bought a house on a buy to let morgage 8-9 years back, turns out the tenants have not been paying the council tax ( they have a contract which states they are liable for all bills)

the council have been writing to my old address, I wasn’t aware of any problems, now ive been contacted by soliciors trying to issue a statutory demand for insolvency.

the total amount is alot, best part of £10k, can anybody advise or point me in the direction of someone who can help me with this?

Tags: None

Although tenants are usually responsible for paying utility bills, if they do not pay, the landlord may find themselves liable for the bills if the tenancy agreement doesn't clearly assign responsibility to the tenant(s) (which you say you have??

Comment

In most cases the occupier of the property pays the tax. This means your tenant will have to pay. However, there are instances when it's the landlord's responsibility to pay the tax.

But, as we've mentioned, in the majority of cases the tenant will pay. But, just to remove any doubt, your tenancy agreement should always include a clause stipulating the tenant is responsible for council tax.

At the start of every tenancy you must inform the council a new occupier has moved into your property. Most councils will have an online form for you to complete. If you use a letting agent to manage your property, they will contact the council on your behalf. This ensures the council tax bills will go to your tenant and not yourself.

Comment

Clearly the Council Tax is for multiple years, if the Council sent mail to your old address (why wasn't the council tax bill's going to the tenants?) and there was no response, they should have got debt collectors, tracing agency etc on the case well before now. The situation would have been easier to resolve at that time.

I would try to find out what efforts the Council made to try and track you down.

Comment

We never informed the council about the tenants, I didn’t know we had to.

im not sure what the council sent me in the way of bills etc, im sure they were sending letters to the tenants at the property.

can anyone recommend a lawyer who could help with this?

Comment

To your right is a search engine. Firstly try to get 30 to 45 minutes free advice, a solicitor that deals with issue a statutory demand for insolvency. Then you can assess and decide what you want to.

Comment

I don’t have a computer, just on my phone, you mean a search engine on this site?

Comment

Sorry, found it, thanks

Comment

The only lawyer i found that that can help wants over £500 for consultation and 10% of tge debt if he can help, is this right?

Comment

lawyer? solicitor you need

Comment

In your situation I would try to make an appointment to go and see the council to discuss the issues taking a copy of the agreement with me. They may back off. If they don't what have you lost? This is only what I would do and does not come with any knowledge of this particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Wince View Post
                        The only lawyer i found that that can help wants over £500 for consultation and 10% of tge debt if he can help, is this right?
                        Have you got any legal expenses cover with any of your insurance policies?
                        (you policy will tell you if they are in a position to help)

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                          In your situation I would try to make an appointment to go and see the council to discuss the issues taking a copy of the agreement with me. They may back off. If they don't what have you lost? This is only what I would do and does not come with any knowledge of this particular situation.
                          This is worth a try, it won't be the first time they've encountered a situation like this.

Comment

If theres a liability order already is this not too late?

Comment

Originally posted by Wince View Post
                              If theres a liability order already is this not too late?
                              No it's not too late, but limited reasons to appeal -

https://www.scarborough.gov.uk/home/...iability-order

https://www.gardencourtchambers.co.u...s-article1.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X