• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Being Used for Asylum Seekers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Being Used for Asylum Seekers

I live in Dudley Council in the West Midlands, where, like the rest of the country, council tax is being increased every single year by big amounts. So I asked the council, if any of this tax was being used for anything to do with asylum seekers. After months of correspondence, I was told that, "Children’s Services will spend £86,000 to support families that are in the process of applying for asylum as well as £70,000 to support unaccompanied asylum-seeking children". This money is being funded directly from our council tax! Surely this is morally wrong, and must be illegal, as every department and service in councils around the country are hugely cut. The council simply says that they can do what they want. Councils seem to be able to do whatever they want, whether it is legal or not, does not seem to bother them. If I could afford it, I would take them to court. I am sure that this is going on around the country. Any asylum seekers who are in this country, have been allowed, if legal, by central government, and should be 100% funded by central government. Why should we, who already have all services cut by our councils, pay for this through this tax?
    Tags: None

It's down to central government, the statutory duty they place on the local authorities and how they provide the funding.

The local authority has a statutory duty to provide the services in most cases and, if central government do not fund it (as they often don't, for many things) then it has to be funded from council tax. If the local authority fails to provide statutory services then they are breaking the law.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X