• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax increase on empty homes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax increase on empty homes

Hi all

I'm a co-executor for my late brother's estate.
    Probate was granted yonks ago.
    His house has been on the market for almost 2 years, but no joy! (I blame Brexit, myself!)

Some councils seem to just carry on the 'after 6 month' rule as the house is empty due to bereavement.

I've been onto my LA's website, but they don't mention anything specific about this, & the implication seems to be that the hike will apply.

Does anyone know what the score is?
    Do different LAs have different 'rules?

From reading about this, the 'empty home' hike is 50% (& possibly going up to 300% in the future).

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Once probate has been granted then a further 6 month class f exemption can be given, there is no discretion in the exemption. After that 6 months then it will default to the local authorities exempty property discount (which can vary by area)

The 50% empty property premium requires it to have been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for 2 years or more. It is increasing to a 100% premium in April 19.

If a period meets those requirements, but was otherwise covered by an exemption, then the period still counts towards the 2 year qualification period. Once an exemption has run out then the reason it is empty has no bearing on the premium.

Comment

Thanks for that, lgfa92
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X