• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Liability after Rolling Tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Liability after Rolling Tenancy

Hi!
    I would really appreciate if someone could provide some information regarding my bizarre situation. I was on a rolling contract whereby I was supposed to give one month's notice whilst landlord was supposed to give two months notice. Rolling tenancy continued for around 6+ years after first full year of AST. I served my one month notice last month ending my tenancy on the 4th November. It was all confirmed by the letting agent. In short, I moved out on 4th and got my deposit back as well after checkout etc. I also informed Council about this and they sent me closing bill.

However, now Council has informed me that they are re-opening my account because landlord has advised them that I am liable for council tax until 4th May, 2019. 4th May was the original tenancy start date. I am baffled as to how I am liable in this scenario. If I recall correctly, it was Statutory Periodic Tenancy as confirmed by the letting agent during correspondence. I even spoke to Letting Agent who asked me to forward their communication as the evidence of my termination. I am in the process of doing that. Meanwhile I will appreciate any advice/comments?

Thanks
    Tags: None

This is your landlord''s way of getting out of his council tax responsibility.

Unless you have been renegotiating your tenancy and signing extensions to your tenancy agreement through the letting agent, when each 6 month period ends, you cannot be held liable up to 04/05/19. If you have not signed any extensions to your tenancy then it goes onto a rolling assured tenancy and the notice period of your original tenancy still applies. Otherwise the terms and conditions of the most recently signed agreement would be in force. If you are on a rolling assured tenancy then having given notice, and left at the end of that notice period, your liability ends.

Provide a copy of your notice, acceptance of such from the letting agency and a copy of your tenancy agreement which shows the termination clauses

Comment

Are you paying CT at your new address?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
        Are you paying CT at your new address?
        Yes, I am. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Wylderose View Post
          This is your landlord''s way of getting out of his council tax responsibility.

Unless you have been renegotiating your tenancy and signing extensions to your tenancy agreement through the letting agent, when each 6 month period ends, you cannot be held liable up to 04/05/19. If you have not signed any extensions to your tenancy then it goes onto a rolling assured tenancy and the notice period of your original tenancy still applies. Otherwise the terms and conditions of the most recently signed agreement would be in force. If you are on a rolling assured tenancy then having given notice, and left at the end of that notice period, your liability ends.

Provide a copy of your notice, acceptance of such from the letting agency and a copy of your tenancy agreement which shows the termination clauses
          Thanks for the clarification. I didn't sign any extension. Letting Agent simply sent a letter saying that tenancy will be switched to Statutory Periodic Rolling Contract with One month notice. That's it. Based on that, 6.5 years elapsed. I have forwarded my Notice, Confirmation from Letting Agency, Instructions to vacate property from letting agency, check out report and confirmation of deposit return to the Council.

Comment

You should inform them you are paying XYZ Council since (date) which was after you moved from OLD address.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
              You should inform them you are paying XYZ Council since (date) which was after you moved from OLD address.
              That's a good idea. I will send them a copy of my new bill as well. Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X