• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Why is council tax based on property value

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is council tax based on property value

Hi all,

I've really struggled to figure out or find information on WHY council tax is based on property value. I've found loads of info about how it's calculated, how to pay it etc, but nothing on the WHY.

I'm about to buy my first house after renting, and will definitely be paying more in tax, and I just don't know WHY. I am not going to be using more of the council's resources - refuse, land, roads etc will all be the same, yet my monthly bill will be much higher just because I've saved up enough to purchase a nicer house.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I just don't understand it.

Can someone explain why?

Many thanks!
    Tags: None

Its how it is all property is Valued in bands you can if you wish try to appeal the band

Comment

Hi and welcome

Easy answer is that the more valuable the property, it is deemed the more you can pay.
      It is generally accepted that the better off pay more to lessen the burden on the poorer

Historically the Poor Rate was based on wealth.
      This was eventually changed to rates based nominally on the rentable value of the property.

Margaret Thatcher made the mistake of the Community charge, a fixed charge per head which varied from council to council.
      This "poll tax" was seen as so unfair that there were riots, and it was swiftly withdrawn and replaced by the current system.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        Easy answer is that the more valuable the property, it is deemed the more you can pay.
        Well that's the bit that gets me because property value isn't anything more than a vague indication of what you can afford. What if the house is inherited, or you just simply save up to afford something better?

Why don't they base it on actual pay which is an indication of affordability?

Comment

council if you are buyer base it on paid sum, next door to you may be on lower as they bought say 10 years before (all based since introduction council tax years ago) but appeals could be started - outcome ??????????????????

Comment

Check your council tax band here https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

The 1991 values ( and how new houses are banded) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/understa...s-are-assessed

No one's moved or built in my street for years, everyone is on band A - from the Rectory, to miners cottages, to 3 bed semis.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...-change/#step2 is a handy check tool to guestimate how much your house would have been valued at in 1991 which should give you an idea what band you should be in ( some info there on appealling )

Reasons it's based on value.... the usual. Look how much everyone was complaining about the higher rate tax band increase announcement yesterday for example. Bigggggg subject and we do try to avoid politics here.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

if you don't like the system you can always lobby your MP for a change, or start up your own political party!

you suggesting a local income tax scheme, such as in USA?
              Were you aware the SNP once promised a local income tax to replace council tax, but have since back pedalled ?
              Beware of what you want.... it might not be to your advantage!!

Comment

council if you are buyer base it on paid sum, next door to you may be on lower as they bought say 10 years before (all based since introduction council tax years ago) there is an appeal process but???
                Last edited by MIKE770; 30th October 2018, 12:09:PM.

Comment

Stats due end of Nov
                  https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...and-wales-2018
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X