• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defect in title: lack of right of way to access side of house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defect in title: lack of right of way to access side of house

Hello I'm in the process of buying a house but an issue concerning the boundaries and rights of way has come up during the conveyancing.

The house is detached but is not surrounded by its own land on all sides as detached properties often are. It has passageways adjoining it to the left and right. On the right-hand side is a shared passageway leading to its back garden and a neighbour's garden, half of which falls within the house's boundary according to the land registry plan.

To the left of the house there is another passageway that goes halfway up the length of the house. This passage leads to a gate that gives access to the garden of the house round the corner. This garden seems to run all the way up to the house I'm buying.

I am concerned about how I would access the left wall of my house for repairs, because my solicitor has informed me that due to a "defect in the title" of the property, there is no legally enforceable right of way. She says I also have no legal right to the use of services such as cables and pipes.

She proposes that I take out indemnity insurance to cover any costs incurred by the absence of easement, but I don't know if that's the best solution or not. I wonder what these costs could be. The insurance policy would only cover me up to the value of the house and would not cover any action taken by a neighbour. I am worried about what would happen if the neighbour decided to build up against my house or attach things to it - would they be allowed to do that?

The deeds from 1906 says "all division walls are party walls" so I assumed the left and right walls of the house are still considered party walls - does this mean the neighbours technically own half of them, even though it's a detached place?

My solicitor and the vendor are being very slow and unhelpful answering my questions. The vendor just put "don't know" in response to the question in the solicitor's report about who is responsible for the left boundary, which seems odd as it seems to be the wall of her house! So I thought I'd see if anyone here had dealt with this kind of situation before. It's putting me off the house but it was so hard for me to get a mortgage, I am reluctant to pull out in case I can't get one again.

I wonder if this issue would put potential buyers off in future, or if I'm being unduly cautious in finding it off-putting?
    Tags: None

Hi,

I am no property expert but I would be concerned about buying a house if there are no legally documented rights of way for that property. I understand that you are concerned about not getting another mortgage for another property so this is something you will have to weigh up as a risk-based decision.

Your solicitor says it's a defect but to me, a defect in the title is something that can and should be rectified either through you obtaining a right of way from your neighbours for a particular price or as your solicitor has suggested, by way of insurance. On the insurance point, are you sure you have understood what the insurance is intended to cover because an absence of easement policy would protect you in defending claims regarding access over land to get to your property. You've stated that the policy would not cover you if your neighbour issue a claim against you which is strange because the policy is intended to do exactly that. What the policy may not cover is digging up the ground for repairs or maintenance but that's something entirely different to access, so you should be sure to ask your solicitor to provide a summary of the policy as to what it does and does not cover.

Property disputes can get very expensive, very quickly so whilst the policy may cover you up to the value of your house, you need to be sure it is adequate. If your house is only worth £150k, that might not be enough if the matter goes to court and you lose, you may have to dip into your own pocket to pay any difference. You can also get legal expenses insurance as an add-on to your home insurance policy which covers up to a certain value, usually anywhere between £50-£100k for disputes which may include property issues so worth looking into that also if the easement policy doesn't cover certain things.

I suspect the vendor may be putting "don't know" to try and avoid liability for misrepresentation as you could rely on those answers if something turns out not to be true. However, there is nothing stopping you from making your own enquiries and knocking on the neighbours to have a chat with them to try to fill in the missing gaps, whether they would have an issue consenting to you going over the land for access or repairs and to formally document that in return for a small compensatory fee. You could then try to use that as a bargaining tool to knock the offer price down to reflect the additional cost and expense you need to make things work, but be aware the vendor might dig their heels in and say no.

Another point to consider is how long the vendor has lived/owned the property. If it has been a short period of time then one might question why are they now selling the property, is that because there are issues based on the issues you have raised, or there could be a perfectly innocent reason behind it. If they have lived in the property for decades then that may suggest everything may be fine, but it needs to work for you because at some point in the future, the neighbours could sell their property and all of a sudden your new neighbours are a pain the backside and refuse you access or right of way. You've also raised concerns about the neighbour building right up to the boundary line which is possible assuming the relevant permissions are granted and there are no restrictions on the title.

Final point, whether issues you have raised put off potential buyers really depends on those buyers. Some buyers just don't have a clue or don't care about the small details because they just love the house and want it so they will do whatever is needed to own it. Other buyers are are clued up and know what to look out for or query are likely to be more cautious and may find that the issues you have encountered are simply not worth the hassle and the better option is to look for another property.

It may come at an additional cost and I am not sure if it falls within the scope of your current engagement, but you may want to consider speaking to your solicitor to see if they can agree provide you with an opinion or a formal letter on the risks of purchasing this property and what options you can do pre/post exchange to get the rights you need (other than insurance).

As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, this is a risk-based decision but you need to take into account what can be done to mitigate these issues, if they are worth your time and cost, and what happens if you don't get what you need, are all of the neighbours going to be friendly and allow you access over their land, what happens if you fall out with them and they revoke that access, can you live with that?

Titles that have defects in them are typically going to be less marketable than those with no defects.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I fully agree with R0b. Think very carefully about all that he has said. If you are going to proceed, do so on the basis of a very clear understanding of the situation and the risk. Do not act in haste to repent at leisure.

What makes you think you might not get another mortgage offer?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X