• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What happens after I've successfully defended against adverse possession

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens after I've successfully defended against adverse possession

Our neighbour applied for adverse possession which we recently defended successfully in the first tier property Tribunal. We have now repossessed our land and fenced it but her solicitor is now telling us that we were incorrect to do this. Does he have a point or is this just posturing?
    Tags: None

Could it be because the neighbour is seeking permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal? Although even if he is I'm not sure why you can't fence it in the meantime. I'll be interested to see what the lawyers here think.

Or maybe he is just posturing with a "we're going to win at appeal so don't wste your money fencing it" type of comment.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

There is an interesting article titled "Adverse possession and rights of way - the search for an unequivocal act" at www.clarkewillmott.com
      The article covers a case where a claimant failed in court to achieve adverse possession of the defendant's alleyway which the previous property owner had used for years and constructed a gate in the alleyway. The judge decided that the installation of the gate was not an unequivocal act.
      If the solicitor did not say why you shouldn't have built a fence, you should reply and ask the legal reason why not

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
        There is an interesting article titled "Adverse possession and rights of way - the search for an unequivocal act" at www.clarkewillmott.com
        The article covers a case where a claimant failed in court to achieve adverse possession of the defendant's alleyway which the previous property owner had used for years and constructed a gate in the alleyway. The judge decided that the installation of the gate was not an unequivocal act.
        If the solicitor did not say why you shouldn't have built a fence, you should reply and ask the legal reason why not
        They've said in their letter that it amounts to a trespass, although I didn't think that I could trespass on my own property? They think we should have put the new fence up along the line of the old fence, i.e. the neighbour should still have the land despite losing an adverse possession application for it.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
          Could it be because the neighbour is seeking permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal? Although even if he is I'm not sure why you can't fence it in the meantime. I'll be interested to see what the lawyers here think.

Or maybe he is just posturing with a "we're going to win at appeal so don't wste your money fencing it" type of comment.
          They haven't begun appeal proceedings - would they need new evidence to do that anyway?

I'm obviously not going to take the fence down but it has been an interesting process to be part of - having to defend our right to our own property has been tedious in the extreme!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

Comment

atticus or R0b may have a view on this.

Regarding appeals, no you don't have to have new evidence. Appeals in the court system are generally on the grounds that the original decison was wrong or unjust because of a serious procedural error or an error in applying or interpreting the law.
            All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Have you applied to the Land Registry to become the legal owner of the land?.

Comment

When was the FTT decision (exact date) ? Do you know if an appeal has been filed?

Do you have the written judgement?

Is your title to the land registered at Land Registry?

The above information may help craft a robust reply to your neighbour's solicitors, but in the meantime I see no reason for you not to sit tight and not remove the fence.

What happened over a number of years to make your neighbours think they could claim adverse possession?
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                  Have you applied to the Land Registry to become the legal owner of the land?.
                  We are already the registered owners of the land

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                    When was the FTT decision (exact date) ? Do you know if an appeal has been filed?

Do you have the written judgement?

Is your title to the land registered at Land Registry?

The above information may help craft a robust reply to your neighbour's solicitors, but in the meantime I see no reason for you not to sit tight and not remove the fence.

What happened over a number of years to make your neighbours think they could claim adverse possession?
                    The decision was on 20th December 2023, we have not had notice that an appeal has been filed.
                    We are already the registered owners of the land as it is part of our title and the application for adverse possession has been canceled.

The boundary was originally created in the way that it was with the consent of the previous owners of our property - it was having and proving this consent that disproved adverse possession. The neighbour applied under the transitional processes under the old regime.

Do you think that I need to reply to the solicitor? There is no specific request for information, more of a setting out of their point of view, which differs from ours.

Comment

Did your neighbour use the land in dispute as a right of way, possibly for over 20 years? Does the new fence block their right of way?
                      You stated you were able to prove consent given by the previous owner. Consent to do what with the land? Was this consent a written document?
                      Their solicitor mentioned the original fence line. Who erected the fence, why was it built and who removed it?

Comment

A short and firm but polite reply should suffice.
                        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
                          Did your neighbour use the land in dispute as a right of way, possibly for over 20 years? Does the new fence block their right of way?
                          You stated you were able to prove consent given by the previous owner. Consent to do what with the land? Was this consent a written document?
                          Their solicitor mentioned the original fence line. Who erected the fence, why was it built and who removed it?

The land was a corner of a garden and gave the neighbour no access, although it did prevent our access which is why we originally asked for it to be returned to us - this was when the neighbour applied for adverse possession. We have now restored our access by installing a gate into the new fence that we erected after the adverse possession was not found. The consent was for the neighbour to use the corner of our garden, nothing more. We have retuned both gardens to the way they are shown on both of our titles.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                            A short and firm but polite reply should suffice.
                            Thankyou - do you also happen to know if there are specific forms or a way of applying for our costs? The order calls on the neighbour to pay our costs but I don't know how to go about claiming these.

Thankyou for your response, I appreciate it

Comment

Costs - you will need to go through the torturous process of detailed assessment, about which I am happily ignorant. Perhaps find and speak to a "costs lawyer" in your area?

Am I right to guess you were not legally represented?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X