• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Transferring a residential property in England from personal name to Ltd company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring a residential property in England from personal name to Ltd company

Hi all

It'll probably be obvious after you read this post that I don't work in the legal profession, I've managed to find some bits to answer my question from various posts but I'm still not sure if I'm missing bits. So as per the title, I'm hoping to transfer a leasehold residential property from my sole personal name to a Ltd company that I'm the sole shareholder and director of. I'm trying to do this myself, hence the question and I really need to do this before the end of the tax year. I know about the tax issues and SDLT implications etc. What I'm wanting to know is what is the minimum mandatory steps required to effect the transfer of title?

At the present moment there is a mortgage on the property which I am arranging to fully repay over the coming days. There is the typical restriction 'no disposition without the authority of the mortgage lender' on the title. - So another question is, it could take maybe a few weeks after the mortgage has been repaid for this restriction to be removed - I'm assuming that as long as the TR1 is completed correctly and dated before the 6th April then it can still be filed with and accepted by Land Registry say sometime in April but still effective from the date it was signed?

My plan is
    1) Repay the mortgage
    2) Draft up a Memorandum of Sale
    3) Transfer the funds from Ltd company to personal account
    4) Complete the TR1 and send this to Land Registry with the Memorandum of Sale?
    5) Write to the Freeholder, advising them of the transfer and enclosing the relevant fee
    6) Complete the relevant returns regarding disposal of property for personal name and SDLT for Ltd company within the correct timeframe

I know I'm simplifying this but am I missing anything that is going to invalidate the above from being accepted? Is it likely anything would come up that may cause an issue?

Just hypothetically thinking, assuming the above is all that is required, could this hypothetically all be drawn up in one day without issue?

Really appreciate any help and advice I can get with this.
    Tags: None

I would assume the Ltd company would need to pay SDLT? Also have you considered the sale will be subject to CGT on disposal and that you will need to file tax returns each year? Sure you have your reasons but can't think of any benefits of this if it's your main residence? Obviously if it's a BTL then difference story.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X