• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Adverse Possession

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adverse Possession

We bought a brand new house from a developer in 2001, but the plot “edged in red” on our deed plan & sent to Land Registry with form TP1 could not be registered in full as a small strip was registered jointly with our builder & another building company (Bett Homes & Jennings Homes shared the site). We were not notified of this at the time but recently found the letter detailing this inside the bundle of conveyancing paperwork returned to us by the bank on repayment of our mortgage. We’re sure we satisfy all the conditions for Adverse Possession. Basically we were led to believe we owned all of our plot, then paid for this but didn’t get it all. No one can access this 1 metre x 2 metre strip. It’s fenced in, partly paved & where we keep our wheelie bins at the side of the garage. I don’t want this to be a problem if we sell the house but do not want to pay thousands to a solicitor. Based on the above circumstances, can anyone offer any advice as to which of the 3 conditions in Schedule 6 Paragraph 5 of the Land Registration Act 2002 we could rely on in an Adverse Possession claim? Thanks!
    Tags: None

Hello

I'm not an expert in adverse possession but I believe the common condition relied on by most is the third condition although I understand that you can rely on multiple conditions which will be taken into account. Your application may go much smoother if the companies are no longer in business since there would be no counter-notice or objection unless there is a successor involved as I believe the LR will notify the owners of the application,

Also you may need to provide evidence of the adverse possession and that can be the most difficult part to show the minimum 10 year period has been met. Records or receipts of work done to the land which is intended to exclude the owner and the world e.g. fencing and when it was installed, being used as an extension of your garden etc. can be evidence to support adverse possession.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Gorn, then - what are the 3 conditions mentioned in shedule 6 paragraph 5 of teground for an adverse possession?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X