• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Estate agency sole agency terms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate agency sole agency terms

Hi there,

I would greatly appreciate advice on the terms of a marketing agreement offered by an estate agent to sell my property. After agreeing a good fee for a sole agency agreement, I reviewed the marketing agreement and found that the terms were more like Sole Selling terms. Upon notifying the agent, they simply added the phrase 'Sole Agency' but did not change any underlying terms. I went back again and explained that in case of a private sale we should not be liable to pay a fee. In response, they took out any mention of liability to pay the fee even if the buyer was found by us, but the rest of the terms still look suspiciously like Sole Selling terms. Furthermore, they agreement states that we will still be liable to pay a fee if contracts are exchanged up to SIX MONTHS after the marketing agreement ends, even if the buyer was found by another agent. Is this standard? It seems exploitative, but I am no expert. These are the terms I'm particularly concerned about:

TERMS OF ENGAGEMENT
    You have instructed us to act for you on a sole agency basis which applies when we are appointed as your only selling agent. Marketing will start from today for a period of 12 weeks and thereafter until notice is given (see below) to end this agreement. Our fees (in addition to any other costs or charges that may have been agreed) are to be paid in each of the following circumstances.
    - If unconditional contracts for the sale of the property are exchanged in the period during which we had sole agency even if the buyer was not introduced by us but by another agent either during or after the agency period up to six months after our marketing agreement ends.
    - If unconditional contracts for the sale of the property are exchanged after the period during which we have sole agency to a buyer who was introduced to the property during that period even if the buyer was neither found or introduced by us but by another agent either during or after this agency period up to six months after our marketing agreement ends.
    - If conditional contracts are exchanged in the circumstances set out in the 2 clauses above and the condition has been met, contracts are deemed to have been exchanged.
    If you appoint another agent at the end of our sole selling agency and we remain instructed, our terms for multiple agency terms will apply.

Very much appreciate any steer on this!
    Best,
    Carl
    Tags: None

I am no expert specifically in this type of contract but I do review and write many other forms of contract.

Terms which include a clause of payment six months after the agreement ends, even if the buyer is introduced by another agent would not be ones I would agree or sign up to. Their ability to charge a fee should end when the contract terminates. You have clearly already negotiated some clauses I suggest you try to do it on this one as well.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

These remain standard sole selling terms. Whether you can renegotiate them to exclude standard remains to be seen.

Comment

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X