• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jointly owned property that partner refuses to allow me to sell following a spli

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointly owned property that partner refuses to allow me to sell following a spli

I own a property with my partner purchased jointly 10 years ago. We are splitting up and he wishes to retain the property. Obviously I want him to agree the full market price for the property that two estate agents have valued at £360k. My partner wishes to pay only 320k a figure I find completely unacceptable. I would leave with half the value agreed less of course the joint mortgage.
    I now want to put the property for sale but he will not readily agree to that.
    What rights or options do I have please. Thanks for reading
    Tags: None

I assume no children are involved.
    You have the right to insist on a sale, and a court will start by wanting to order a sale. You obtain an order under the Trustss of Land and Appointment of trustees Act 1996(?). Point out to him that when he is so clearly in the wrong, the costs of getting the order will likely come out of his share.
    Be careful though about the costs of a dispute which can and will escalate quickly.

Comment

I agree. And yes, 1996.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

DS, thanks for your reply. Is this a process I can reasonably do myself. As the end result is so clear I’m assuming it should be straightforward although probably slow given the courts workload.

Comment

Do not underestimate the distance between what you understand now and where you would have to be to succeed.
          As a solicitor retired now over ten years, I would employ a solicitor.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X