• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Indemnity Polcy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indemnity Polcy

Hello

We are in the process of buying and selling houses. We had our driveway tarmacked and kerb dropped about 18 months ago. Our buyers solicitor reckons we have broken a covenant and we have to pay an indemnity. I have asked how much this is but my solicitor hasn’t quoted me a figure yet. Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Did you seek planning permission? It might be an idea to see if planning permission for the kerb can be sought retrospectively.

Comment

Indemnity policies are generally cheapish, but we are not insurance underwriters, nor do we have full facts.
      await your solicitor's advice

PS no need for duplicate posts

Comment

We obtained the highways permission to drop the kerb prior to commencing work. I have asked my solicitor for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by TuskenJawa View Post
          We obtained the highways permission to drop the kerb prior to commencing work. I have asked my solicitor for advice.
          If you've obtained permission, are you saying the permission given doesn't reflect the current state of the 'dropped kerb'?

Comment

I assume there is a covenant forbidding the construction of a dropped kerb.
            Planning permission does not override the covenant.
            The purchasers are looking for an indemnity policy in case someone who benefits from the covenant complains.

It may be that this is an estate and the designers did not want owners dropping kerbs and parking on what was designed as a garden area.
            It was quite common a few years back when households would only have one car, which was kept in a garage block

Comment

No but I'm fairly sure things has to be declared before planning permission is granted.

Comment

Don't think restrictive covenants are factored in when authorities consider planning applications

Comment

The issue is that we have converted a piece of garden which was a small piece of weed infested grass into a driveway. We now have parking for four cars instead of one. Common sense would dictate that the asking price should be greater instead we are being penalised for maintaining and developing our property. The neighbours have thanked us for dropping the kerb as delivery drivers now have somewhere to park.

it is a crazy world we live in now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X