• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I claim my land back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I claim my land back?

We have just moved in to our new property. We have a Conveyance from 1935 that the end of garden is 6.5 yards wide and when I measured this it is only 4.5m wide. Years ago there was a garage at an angle that ran at a 45 degree angle to the boundary to allow easy access with a car. I got speaking to our neighbour and he said the previous occupier of his house took that part of the land and built a 6ft gate and wall. The current owner has since had fence panels, block paving and an electric gate over this land.

Its triangular shape that was picked up around 10 years ago by the planning application of a bungalow for the previous next door neighbour. This is what the application said. "The applicant is advised that conflicting information has been received over the ownership of part of
    the application site (a triangular parcel of land adjacent to the garage of address...."
    In this application there is a copy of the conveyance for that property and it does not include this part of the land.

The title plan of both properties show the current layout, which is not what is on the conveyance. There was no mention of this land being sold when we purchased the house.

The land has been possessed for over 20 years by looking on Google earth, I am unsure if an adverse possession has been attempted and is there anything I can do to stop it?

Ideally we want this land back as it will give us enough room to park our car and trailer. Currently we can not fit it on.
    Tags: None

Hopefully the land has not been built on.

Land registry title plans are only indicative.
    Mistakes do occur, but may be rectified.(https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-indemnity)

That is easier said than done if the current occupier of the land disputes a mistake has been made.

Land disputes can be expensive, and you will probably need to instruct surveyors and solicitors

Comment

The land has not been built on, it is pretty clear by the conveyancing from 1935 that the land belongs to this property at one time. Where would you find out if adverse possession has been granted?

The boundary line runs diagonal and should not move straight as the picture.
      I have added a copy of their convenace showing the angle and their property. Ours is above theirs.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think land Registry keep a record of the previous three previous owners of land, so from that you might be able to see if that parcel of land had a change of ownership.
        You will need to apply to LR, and hope the land was registered sometime ago.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X