• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Yearly tithe rent of 6/2½d still payable!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yearly tithe rent of 6/2½d still payable!

Not a problem about which I seek advice, more a curiosity about which comment might be interesting.

I live in a cul de sac of six detached houses built in 1976. I've lived there since then and neighbours have come and gone. When Next Door said goodbye in March, they mentioned that they had had to pay a £600 indemnity in respect of a yearly tithe of 6/2½d noted in a conveyance of 1922. Actually I don't understand all the legal jargon and there's another reference to "a yearly sum of of £6.1.10 charged as Tithe Rent", which might or might not relate to the entire plot.

Back in 1976 my solicitor didn't pick up on this nor, I think, did law firms acting for previous owners of Next Door. But it is included in three pages of covenants lodged with the Land Registry. (I can apparently erect "an entrance lodge or Grooms or Gardeners Cottage which shall be of less value than £750 each of £1200 the pair".)

Presumably it's considered that there's a chance that the descendants of someone who lived in 1922 (there are a couple of names mentioned in the Charges Register) might pop up and claim all those backdated tithes?

The solicitor-daughter of another person who's lived nearby since 1976 said that it's nothing to worry about, and indeed I'm not at all concerned. Though I do wonder to whom the £600 indemnity was paid and if and when it's returnable.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X