• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Boundary Responsibility Clarity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boundary Responsibility Clarity

A few years ago, my RHS boundary fence got damaged in the wind. The landlord of the neighbouring property was difficult to get hold of, and I had a new puppy - so I took it upon me to get the whole fence replaced as the old one was in poor condition and offered no privacy.

I only have the title register and title plan, which makes no reference to boundary responsibilities. The neighbour has now produced a document from the 1930s when the house was built, which clearly shows T-marks showing I am responsible for our boundary.

I have no major issue with this other than to understand if there are more detailed documents I should obtain from HMLR which would help reconcile with this information. But if I don't know what documents HMLR hold, how can I complete the OC2 form to request it?

My understanding is that unless the register/plan make specific reference to T-marks, they are not legally enforceable

Any insight welcomed.
    Tags: None

Boundaries in general can be a major problem. In years gone by title deeds were parchment or paper and everything was kept in a file, (one file for each property).

Some years ago, it was decided that the deeds could be put on microfilm which would save space and be less of a fire risk than paper. In the computer age, most records have now been digitised and although paper deeds still exist, many of the files are incomplete or missing.

The land registry will send you everything they have but sadly that is not necessarily everything there once was.

Boundaries are normally shown as a red line but when the records were put on monochrome microfilm many red lines disappeared. And there was never any actual measurement between boundaries.

The only way these days to define a boundary is to have the property surveyed.

Comment

The register and plan very rarely make direct reference to boundary responsibilities. These are usually contained within the first Transfer/Conveyance of the land from the developer to the new owners. This deed will be referenced within your title register. I presume your register also makes reference to the 1930s deed your neighbour produced. Boundary responsibilities will be defined by an inward “T” on the plan attached to that document. That’s the one you’ll need to request for your OC2 - you’ll find the exact date on your title register.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X