• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Freeholder's retrospective permissions & Statute of limitations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeholder's retrospective permissions & Statute of limitations

Hello,

I'm in the process of selling my flat (Leasehold) and the Freeholder is asking for retrospective permissions for alterations which were completed by the people who held the Leasehold before the people who held it before me, about 20 years ago. 2 out of 3 alterations in question have had a like-for-like substitutes within the last 8 years. I am hoping there is a Statute of Limitations on this, given how long ago the originals alterations were completed. I'd be very thankful if anyone could share any insight on this.

I didn't know the permissions were not issued for these alterations. The Freeholder's agents submitted the Management Pack for the sale to my solicitors a few weeks ago, not mentioning any outstanding permissions. Additionally, nothing was mentioned when I purchased the property 8 years ago or any time since.

The lease agreement has a covenant about alterations:
    "Not to make any alterations or additions to the exterior of the Premises nor any structural alterations or structural additions to the interior of the Premises [...] without the previous consent in writing of the Lessor such consent not to be unreasonably withheld."

I was inclined to pay for the retrospective permissions to avoid any complications with my sale, however the Freeholder refuses to commit to a fixed cost for these retrospective permissions and has given me an estimate, and then came back with yet another estimate a week later, this time triple the amount of the first one, without any change of circumstances.

Since the alterations were completed 20 years ago, well before I purchased the property, and it is reasonable to expect the Freeholder was aware of the alterations as the Freeholder's Managing Agent's Director lives on the premises, would this be covered by a Statute of Limitations of 12 years? Would the like-for-like substitutes within the last 8 years impact this?

Many thanks for your help!
    Tags: None

Regarding the reasonableness of the administration charges you might find some commentaries on this case useful: Avon Freeholds Limited v Alexander Garnier [2016],UKUT 477 (LC)

As the breach(es) occurred over 12 years ago, . section 8 of the Limitation Act 1980 should provide a defence against any legal action initiated by the lessor.
    IMO (probably not worth much) like-for-like substitutes don't affect the argument

Comment

Thank you for your advice! Very helpful

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X