• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Restrictive Covenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrictive Covenant

does anyone have any idea how compensation is determined for lifting a Restrictive Covenant in a property.
    i am looking to build a nanny flat for my disable
    mother in my rear garden but there is a covenant
    basically stating no buildings away from the main property
    can be used for habitation.
    Neighbour not the friendliest sort and would most likely drive a hard bargain to lift it.
    So it would be beneficial to know how what the criteria is for evaluating their “loss” of the restriction or even how the Courts would determine compensation if it went down
    this route...
    Tags: None

I assume no-one knows anything !

Comment

I think you'll find there has been no answer as there is no straight forward answer.

Your neighbour might be amenable to having the covenant lifted or varied if you pay him enough,
      Even if the Upper Tribunal (lands chamber) agrees to lift the covenant in spite of your neighbours objections (if he does object) you could still find yourself paying his costs, as well as unknown compensation to him.
      Sometimes compensation is equivalent to the drop in value of the neighbouring property plus an amount for disturbance caused by proposed building works,
      or sometimes it is calculated on the uplift in the value of your property
      or sometimes on loss of amenity value.

Comment

Thanks Des8, that’s exactly why I asked the question as they’re appeared to be little or no worthwhile info available online...
        Thanks for your reply and very informative.

Comment

Just one further question. If I were to just go ahead and breach the Covenant would the neighbour have to self fund any enforcement or would his legal protection insurance cover fund his legal costs to enforce the Covenant.
          Just trying to ascertain the likelihood of him enforcing it . Obviously if he is self funding he may be a little reluctant to go down that road.

Comment

As the covenant benefits his land it is quite possible that his legal expenses insurance (if he has any) will pay his costs.

I would caution against just breaching the covenant as it could well cause problems down the line if and when your property comes to be sold.
            You will effectively be asking the buyer to take on responsibility for you breaching the covenant, because any enforcement action could be taken against the owner of the property at that time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X