• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

One bedroom or two?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One bedroom or two?

I have a basement garden flat. It was originally a one bedroom but a previous owner built a single story flat roof rear extension. It was sold to me as a ‘one bedroom with garden room’, but in practice, previous owners and myself have used it as a second bedroom.

My question is, why can’t it be sold as a two bedroom and what might be needed to allow me to?

I have architectural plans for the extension dated February 1985 which have a planning approval stamp. It’s not very well insulated and I doubt it would meet current building regs without additional work but in practice, it’s a perfectly usable bedroom. It’s heated and has large double glazed windows.

My understanding is that if an extension was built pre-November 1985, then building regs approval wasn’t required. So in theory my extension should be grandfathered in and be a legal bedroom?

The property is share of freehold. When it was sold to me, I know that the seller had initially tried to list it as a two bedroom but the other freeholders insisted that it be listed as a one bedroom instead. Is this simply a matter of me needing to convince my fellow freeholders that I should be allowed to define the property as a two bedroom rather than a matter for building control?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Tags: None

My understanding is that if planning permission was given for a "garden room" it may not be used as a bedroom without planning permission for change of use.
    If granted it will almost certainly be conditional on the room being upgraded to meet current building regulations.

Comment

My understanding is that if planning permission was given for a "garden room" it may not be used as a bedroom without planning permission for change of use.
      Thanks. Is there such a thing as a 'change of use' for a room? I can't find any information on that. Only on change of use of a property as a whole.

Comment

you would be applying for change of use of a "garden room", not a plain ordinary room in the house.
        This was built presumably with planning permission or under permitted development rules.
        Whilst garden rooms may be used as temporary accommodation (or even as bedrooms if no one knows) you cannot advertise them as bedrooms.

Have a word with your local authority planning department to see what their take is on this question.

If the room is up graded to bedroom will it impact on the council tax band?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X