• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

When does legal ownership transfer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does legal ownership transfer

Hi

In most conveyancing situations, transfer and legal ownership is transferred on completion of contracts by solicitors.

But I am selling a small plot of land (value £200) to a member of my family and we are doing our own conveyancing.

So when does legal ownership transfer.

1. When money changes hands and a dated receipt confirming new owner is drawn up.
    2. When the transaction is recorded at Land Registry

Thanks
    Tags: None

If it's already registered land then, until ownership is registered by the land registry, they only have an equitable interest in the land and not a legal interest.

Comment

Originally posted by lgfa92 View Post
      If it's already registered land then, until ownership is registered by the land registry, they only have an equitable interest in the land and not a legal interest.
      Thanks. So for clarity this differs from the sale of a car where ownership transfers immediately at point of sale even though registration by DVLA of the change may take place a little while after.

Comment

Originally posted by bumper View Post

Thanks. So for clarity this differs from the sale of a car where ownership transfers immediately at point of sale even though registration by DVLA of the change may take place a little while after.
        When land contracts are exchanged the buyer gets an equitable interest - i.e. there is a contract of sale. At the point of completion you would have the ownership of the land physically in your possession but the transaction has to be noted (for registered land) with the land registry for you to be noted as the legal owner.

Comment

When land contracts are exchanged the buyer gets an equitable interest - i.e. there is a contract of sale. At the point of completion you would have the ownership of the land physically in your possession but the transaction has to be noted (for registered land) with the land registry for you to be noted as the legal owner.
          OK, my reading suggests that the term equitable owner and the term beneficial owner are one and the same.

Also once created, the beneficial owner has, from that date, a right to all incomes such as rent, and similarly a responsibility for all outgoings such as taxes, liabilities or council fines.

I am most grateful for your guidance.

Comment

OK, my reading suggests that the term equitable owner and the term beneficial owner are one and the same.
            They are.

The process of registration of registered land is geared to protect those who have some of sort of interest in the land so, assuming there are no other interests that may come up, then it should be straightforward for you.

Comment

They are.
              The process of registration of registered land is geared to protect those who have some of sort of interest in the land so, assuming there are no other interests that may come up, then it should be straightforward for you.
              Straying a little off topic, It's possible, in a Bare Trust to have a person recorded at Land Registry (Trustee) and a Beneficial Owner who does not appear on the Land Registry documentation. This situation can exist for years, so in my case what are the legal requirements to change the name at the Land Registry aside from reinforcing individuals rights.

Comment

Straying a little off topic, It's possible, in a Bare Trust to have a person recorded at Land Registry (Trustee) and a Beneficial Owner who does not appear on the Land Registry documentation. This situation can exist for years, so in my case what are the legal requirements to change the name at the Land Registry aside from reinforcing individuals rights.
                If it is a case of one individual selling it directly to another, the Land Registration Act 2002 requires the ownership change to be registered and the relevant personal details would need to be provided.

Comment

If it is a case of one individual selling it directly to another, the Land Registration Act 2002 requires the ownership change to be registered and the relevant personal details would need to be provided.
                  OK, Thanks so much,

Comment

OK, Thanks so much,
                    The Land Registration Rules 2003 set out what proprietor information actually be registered under rule 8- https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X