• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Abortive house purchase solicitors bill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortive house purchase solicitors bill

Hi to everyone on the forum
    i need some help. I instructed a firm of solicitors that I have used many times before to purchase a house , price of house £75,000. To keep things to the point what happened was that through no fault of the solicitors we pulled out of the purchase. We had at the outset paid £100 towards any searches that would have needed to have been but none had been done as we owned property nearby so we knew area etc. They have now sent us a bill for £250 inc of vat, they knock off the £100 paid already so they want us to pay them £150.00. When I got my conveyencing quote the following words were in the agreed paperwork “” REASSURINGLY , IN ADDITION ALL OUR WORK IS CARRIED OUT ON A NO COMPLETION NO FEE BASIS ( OTHER THAN FEES PAID OUT ON YOUR BEHALF SUCH AS SEARCHES) is just welcome peoples comments. Am I liable to pay anything ?
    many thanks
    Tags: None

Have you asked the solicitors for a breakdown of the bill and which searches were undertaken?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi amethyst
      thanks for you question. No I have not asked for a breakdown of bill yet , but regarding searches none have been done. I only got this bill by email last night , and when I looked at quote paperwork I noticed the paragraph that I have quoted above in caps.
      Regards paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul2494 View Post
        Hi amethyst
        thanks for you question. No I have not asked for a breakdown of bill yet , but regarding searches none have been done. I only got this bill by email last night , and when I looked at quote paperwork I noticed the paragraph that I have quoted above in caps.
        Regards paul
        The solicitors act does not allow a bill to be served by mail, unless you agree of course to the bill being served that way. So thats the first point.

Second, we would need to see the retainer but no move no fee seems clear to me, you didnt sell you dont pay.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi ptilley
          many thanks for your reply. I’m of the same opinion as you no completion no fee. So I’m going to scan letter with the paragraph highlighted and send back to solicitor for her comments which should be interesting. As this firm don’t seem to get back to you quickly I won’t hold my breath for a quick reply , when a reply does eventually come I’ll post the reply. Once again thank you to all for your help. Regards gerry

Comment

Hi all
            hope you are all well. Just to let you know solicitors got back to me and said the bill they had sent out to me was a misunderstanding. They have now cancelled the bill and refunded the £100 deposit I paid them as no searches had been carried out. So a great conclusion
            many thanks for your help and comments
            regards gerry

Comment

Great. Glad they have refunded the £100 deposit too. Thanks for the update
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X