• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Transfer of Equity Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer of Equity Question

My wife owns 60% of her home as the product of divorce, with her ex owning the other 40%. He is buying her out of her share and we are using the proceeds to buy a home of her own.

He has told my wife that in order to proceed with his mortgage application she needs to sign over the deeds to him before anything else happens. To me it seems that it should be the final step of the transaction. Can anyone offer any advice to clear this up?
    Tags: None

You should get a solicitor to sort out the transfer of equity to ensure you have an agreement regards the consideration to be paid for the transfer. If you shop around you should find a conveyancing solicitor able to deal with it for under £500. As a starting point possibly try https://www.irwinmitchell.com/person...sfer-of-equity to get an idea but they are likely to be top end price wise.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you, that was my feeling. We had discussed representation with the solicitor acting on our new house purchase, but we were told we didn't really need representation on this side of the transaction. The only question I had is on this deeds issue. I think somewhere down the line there may have been a misunderstanding on his behalf, I just wanted to make sure.

Comment

In my experience its always best to get legal advice, especially when it comes to complex areas such as transferring equity. Irwin Mitchell are very good as suggested above but certainly are top end price wise. My experience with this firm has been positive on the property related matters I've instructed them on to date. Hope it you find the answers you're looking for!
        Are You Considering Transferring Equity And Have Questions That Need Answering? Read Our Complete Solicitor's Guide On The Transfer Of Equity Process.

Comment

If you own a property with someone else, you might end up wanting to transfer all the right and full ownership to either yourself or your partner. There are a lot of moving parts here that come into play. Make sure all the terms and conditions are very clear between your wife and her ex-husband concerning their property. The deed will be signed at a given point, but make sure this is done with your lawyer present at that very moment. It can be done before or after the divorce, depending on when it is convenient. Even if it is after the divorce, there is nothing wrong.

More than the paperwork, it is more about the surrounding implications to the entire situation at the time of transferring equity to someone else. Make sure, if they had a mortgage, then the conditions on the deed must specify these details and whatever is discussed between the two parties must be communicated clearly to each other with the help of their lawyers regarding the property, the deed, and the mortgage, if any. Because you cannot change the names on the deed without changing the names on the mortgage documents. It is best to discuss this with your property lawyers and communicate all the details about the property very clearly. Contact us today https://www.pindorialaw.com/property-solicitors/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X