• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help ..me again . Tenant now 4k in arrears and trouble with EO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help ..me again . Tenant now 4k in arrears and trouble with EO

Wylderose, your comments are pretty much spot on, but in this case it appears the relevant agencies are not communicating enough. I have to give the social worker the name and address of the tenants housing officer which I feel should have happened sooner

Comment

its not tenants that have been on HB that are more of a problem, its tenants that have been housed by the HA or LA before and not really beenin the normal rental market. Be carfull [MENTION=50128]bb41[/MENTION] answering anything to the LA, even tehre social worker. Really, at the moment, you have the Order from the court, the tenant and local authority should have spent there time dealing with it then. There is no good reason for the SS to ask you to much detail, i dont mean be abrupt or ignorant, just be polite but busy for the next few weeks if you understand. I know its hard and heart renching at this point of eviction for the LL, but there are services to help tenants in these positions. Its neither your fault or your responcability, feeling sad about the situation just meens yournormal human being.
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thanks CC, I was really taken aback at a call from the SS, I thought they'd work in association with HA ...I have a history of industrial letting and although problematic in as much as it's trying to keep many overgrown children in check it wasn't ever personal.
        I have another property but not HB's and they are excellent and have probably put value on the property as it's so well decorated and looked after.
        It just seems such a lack of respect and fear for the children being bought up in this situation.
        Still I'll be back looking for answers before this is over no doubt

Comment

Originally posted by bb41 View Post
          I have to give the social worker the name and address of the tenants housing officer which I feel should have happened sooner
          I know you mentioned before that Social Services had previously been involved (other children), but to be perfectly honest I will agree with CCouncil on this - be careful of what involvement you have with Social Services.

It is not down to you to give them information about the tenant's housing officer etc - that should be an inter-departmental conversation. I would refer them to the Housing department (whoever you have been dealing with) and tell them that it is nothing to do with you.

Comment

Thank you Wylderose, just shows how naive I am at this kind of thing ... so many things to be careful of

Comment

Well that didn't take too long for me to be back asking again did it ??

My friend the EO is on my back again... she asked what my intentions are for the property now tenants have left . I informed her the tenants are still in situ and bailiff appt has been arranged ..
              She wants me to tell her what I am doing with the property after they have left and that if it is up for rental again by me then the enforcement notice ( and yes that means socket gate included) she will enforce the rest of the jobs. There really aren't many things on her list to do only more sockets and rad valves

My question is , can she really demand to know when my property is sold because as far as I know it is mine to sell and none of her god damned business

Comment

hi
                i would not engage with them at the moment, you are not renting again, nothing to do with them, Be carful of paperwork monkeys within the EO.

Heres the thing, due to there actions around your tenant, they are goiung to have to re-house her at the most difficult time for them. Be carfull of them looking for reasons to dealy things to make it easyer for them, or puting the respenability on anyone else. They get marked/mesured on this type of thing.

Maybe if they would have encouraged/helped the tenant to update there rent, or not encouraged them to push for the reapirs to defend a section 21 ( that what i suspect the EO had in mind ) then things would have been different for the tenant,and them.
                crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thanks CC... I feel I am only obliged to inform them of the bailiff appt..and as far as I can see once they have gone then they have no reason to contact me especially as I am selling and not re-letting. Something they can easily check without me offering the info
                  She really has gone around this the wrong way as her contacts have usually been of a threatening nature from day 1 ,... how to really pee someone off in an instant.
                  It seems this is her first job since uni and I really feel she needs some lessons in tactful communications... she might get better co-operation from LL's in the future

Comment

My friend the EO is on my back again... she asked what my intentions are for the property now tenants have left . I informed her the tenants are still in situ and bailiff appt has been arranged ..
                    She wants me to tell her what I am doing with the property after they have left and that if it is up for rental again by me then the enforcement notice ( and yes that means socket gate included) she will enforce the rest of the jobs.

. . . . My question is , can she really demand to know when my property is sold because as far as I know it is mine to sell and none of her god damned business
                    I think the question is can you sell your property while it has an Improvement Notice registered against it?

If you're not renting the property then it should be cancelled (hopefully).

However much you dislike the EO you need them onside so you get them to co-operate in order for any sale to go through.

The Improvement Notice will limit your options. An investment buyer will not want the hassle and it could have a negative impact on a buyer's mortgage application (lenders don't like to lend on properties which have perceived legal complications).

This is what I said in post # 157 >

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                    I think you should ask (demand) that the Council withdraw the Improvement Notice the minute the Tenant vacates since it will no longer be relevant.

Have you checked with Land Registry to see if the Notice has been registered against the property since that may affect your sale because the purchaser would become the "duty holder"?

You can Appeal the Improvement Notice (it would be a late Appeal) but perhaps a threat to do that from your solicitor (at the conveyancing stage) would be enough to get the Council to withdraw it.

Perhaps hint that you would hold the Council financially responsible for the cost of any sale lost due to the Notice.

Once an Appeal is lodged the Notice should be suspended.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/enforc...als-appeal.htm

Di

Comment

Hi Di, there is no charge on at the land registry as yet.

Do you think I should request that the improvement notice be withdrawn after the tenant vacates now so that it is something that I can state later if needs be ??

Comment

Hi [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] is correct, i wanst considering what affect the notice may have since registered.

You realy want to get them to drop the notice. I would consider the following

All other work apart from sockets is done, then ask the EO to confirm the details of the extra sockets, what extra load was they instructing you to add, Tell them that your conscerned it may affect the sale of your property,a nd you want full confirmation in relation to the sockets so you can challange it asap, or ask them to withdrawe the notice due to it affecting the sale.

Comment

Yes I have just emailed Atilla the Hun and told her that apart from Rad Valves and the extra sockets , all the other work has been done (oh I haven't put skirtings on !!) I informed her that the wiring was not able to accommodate extra sockets without over loading,

I have requested that the improvement notice be removed on or before tenant leaves depending if they go before or wait for bailiff eviction and that if a sale is lost due to it not being removed then I would hold the council responsible for any financial loss incurred.

I feel marginally smug now !!

Comment

Just an observation based on my own dealings with minions at a couple council.
                            Is it a good idea to directly threaten them, I have found it to be counterproductive. However if you are unhappy with the EOs conduct you could email the ceo and copy in your local elected representatives. Even that though has attached risks

Comment

I have requested that the improvement notice be removed on or before tenant leaves depending if they go before or wait for bailiff eviction and that if a sale is lost due to it not being removed then I would hold the council responsible for any financial loss incurred
                              Good.

I also see no harm in confirming that the property will not be re-let by you once the Tenants have vacated - because that’s the truth (well for now anyway).

You would probably have to disclose the Notice during the conveyancing process even if it has been withdrawn by then. You’ll be asked about any disputes in the previous 12 months including ones that have been resolved.

If all that’s needed is to fix a couple of electric sockets then it may be worth your while doing that to ‘satisfy’ the Notice even if it’s not a statutory requirement for you. The file would then be closed.

If your potential purchaser is a Landlord then it would smooth the way for a sale to go through avoiding any red tape issues.

In fact making an investor aware that the Council were interested in supplying Tenants could be a marketing bonus (unless I’ve misunderstood what you posted a while ago). Readymade Tenants could be attractive to some Landlords

You can start to look to the future now that you’re back in control of the situation.

Di
                              Last edited by Diana M; 29th November 2017, 23:29:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Warwick, this woman has come in gungho demanding every minutiae and all the problems had been caused by the tenant... I had also tried to get access to the bathroom leak but was kept waiting for over 6 weeks which resulted in even further damage.

I wouldn't have minded if she had been a little more understanding... along with the arrears which she never gave any credence to she was extremely heavy handed.

I will be reporting her after this sorry mess is over as she didn't help me with any compromise and she certainly didn't help the tenant.

If I am within my rights to have the improvement notice removed after they have finally gone and as she is still communicating in a threatening manner then I fear I have not a lot left to lose.

I have tried to be civil but this woman seems to read through a check list without using her noodle.

God knows what she's like with rogue landlords ...

Even after the tenant leaves I am still 2 months within the improvement notice given me to get jobs done... The woman is a hindrance.. not a help to anyone.

I know you are probably right, but I am a little fed up with the mess I'm in caused by others and no one apart from you people on here helping me at all

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X