• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can insurance company sue me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can insurance company sue me?

Hi Des8

I hope this is better, I have downloaded off PC this time.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm bemused now.
      They claim to act on behalf of ......... your public liability insurers.
      According to other documents you uploaded your insurers at that time were Royal Sun Alliance, and there is no way that name will fit into the gap.
      There's no real reason for not naming that insurer, but if you prefer could you PM it to me?

Comment

Hi, the solicitors said the commercial claims company who originally acted on behalf of royal sun alliance, are the ones they are representing. Royal sun alliance are not mentioned in the letter. However, even the commercial claims company name isn't on the letter. They merged with another company and it is their name on the letter. I researched on google and the 2 commercial claim companies did merge. I don't even know what part royal sun alliance is even playing in this charade.

Comment

In saying that a loss adjuster was also involved during the time of the fire claim. The cheque was sent by the commercial claim company. None of it makes sense to me. Maybe if they shed more light on it as the years passed, I would know what had been happening. My old insurers clearly had my new address, as that is where they posted the cheque. Maybe this tenancy agreement is both the companies last resort.......only they have the answers.:tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

Its how claims management Co work. Basically, they lost a gamble they had with the insurance company on your old claim, there looking if they can recover it from anyone.
            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

OK, the named company is not part of the RSA group.
              They are a different insurance company.
              It looks as if they either have their knickers in a twist, or were fishing.

Loss adjusters would have been involved in originally assessing the claims (one for the buildings & possibly a different one for the contents)
              There would most likely have been some correspondence between the companies to ensure there was nothing fraudulent, and so they would know of RSA involvement with you.

I'm currently involved in a "discussion" with that building's insurer that may shortly be ending court, so I'm no lover of them.

As previously advised:
              i) don't worry
              ii) don't speak on phone
              iii) post up any further communications

Comment

General query on insurance policy documents:

After Des8 queried yesterday about Royal Sun Alliance not being able to fit on the letter, I double checked my document.

The contents insurance I put on the forum was from the October 2008/2009, I had stapled ALL the paperwork together. I CANNOT locate the one that states cover thereafter............

In August 2009, I called the SEARCH ENGINE Company and requested that I have accidental damage included onto the existing policy as I had children who were prone to BREAK things. I was given a quote over the phone and received a letter from THE SEARCH ENGINE Company which included a credit agreement showing my new payment plan, which included the £25 administration fee as I made a CHANGE to my policy. NEVER at any point did I get a new policy document and nor did I get told that my policy was now run by another insurance company. Hence, why I keep stating Royal Sun Alliance.

As I am not the expert in all of this. Would the SEARCH ENGINE Conpany have found another insurance company to also include accidental damage and kept the original policy as it stands (the one I posted on the forum). OR would they have kept Royal Sun Alliance and not sent me new documents as the policy never really changed, just had the accidental damage got put on their system? Its all confused me, everthing is normally straight forward, but typically, the ONE policy paperwork that I need, are the ones that are the MOST confusing.........................due to me making an amendment half way through.

Thanks

Forward

Comment

If you had a policy with RSA and requested "accidental damage" be added, that is what the brokers would have done, and it is borne out by the charging of £25 admin fee.
                  If they had cancelled your policy with RSA and placed the insurance with a different company you would have:
                  i) had to complete a new proposal form (do you remember doing this?)
                  ii) paid an admin fee to the broker for cancellation (currently £75 with the broker you named)
                  iii)been provided with a new policy wording

I am still of the opinion that the policy quoted in the solicitors letter is most likely your landlord's.
                  If they should contact you again try and get the policy number from them, as we might then be able to confirm that.

Comment

Its been so long. If I remember, they cancelled my old policy, which would have been the one I posted. Then charged £25 admin fee. Sent a new policy under the new insurers, but that's the one I can't find to confirm. I genuinely can't even remember a new proposal form. Although the covering letter does state pages 1/18.
                    Is it worth calling the search engine company and asking for the policy?
                    I could have posted the correct one on the forum then, as most the advice has been based on the previous policy.

Comment

However, as I was rumaging through my paperwork I logged ALL the conversations I had with the fire department, insurers, loss adjustors etc.
                      As it was a traumatic time I had TOTALLY forgot:
                      1. My landlords insurance - due to being his property
                      2. Neighbours house insurance - where the back of their house was scorched
                      3. Relatives car insurance - as their keys and log book burned in the fire
                      4. My contents insurance

3 months after the incident, it was near the end stage of the claim being dealt with. The loss adjuster told me "The fire report concluded it was a cigerette that caused the fire. The landlords, neighbours and relatives car insurance may want to claim re-imbursement from MY insurance company, due to conflict of interest". He could no longer deal with me as he was also reprsenting the landlords insurers, so someone else would be allocated to me.

Later that day, another man called who was newly allocated to my case. Asked me if £? was okay to cover my burnt contents. "yes"! He verbally told me, "The landlords insurers could not claim off my insurers as he is also going to receive payment? But the neighbours insurers may want to claim off my insurers."

On the letter the solictor sent, it states mine and the landlords name though......................Landlords name V Tenant me
                      Last edited by Contessa; 11th February 2015, 18:35:PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Sorry, but I am become confused.
                        In post 52 you said: " NEVER at any point did I get a new policy document "
                        In post 54 you said:"
                        Sent a new policy under the new insurers,"

However it is more than likely that your policy covered your liability (public &/or tenant), so all you have to do is identify who your insurers were.
                        Are you still using the same "search engine"? As you suggest it might be possible to find out from them who your insurers were, and a policy number

Comment

Unfortunately not. I changed to a different insurer and have been with them for the last 4 years. I'm confused with what happened with the old insurers paperwork, as it has been years, and my memory does not serve me very well, but I think they would have been similar to the one on the forum. If the worse comes to the worse, I will request for a copy, if needs be, I may just do that next week, I'm sure they can't say, "no".

To make matters worse for myself, before I joined the forum, I had already acted upon the solicitors instructions and sent the original tenancy agreement to them by post. I did not think twice until after I had posted them. I was unable to take a copy at work. That was when I approached my old landlord and asked why they didn't have a copy of his?

I only possess the back of the rental agreement which is what I posted on the forum.

I am my own worse enemy sometimes. But taking on board the replies I have had, I didn't realise I wasn't compelled. I guess I'm just a sitting duck now, until they make the next move.

Comment

I would not worry 2 much, worse case scenario, both old insurance companies claims management companies ,solicitors are going to fight it out.

They will just try and include you in there fight. You have not done anything wrong by sending the docs off, just experience may tell you for future reference, when someone legal, is asking for contracts or accounts in relation to a claim, that may be against you, and ther is no immediate interest for you to comply ( you had already been paid ). Then don't supply anything unless formal compelled to.

I liken claims management companies calling themselves solicitors, to burglars calling them selves furniture removers
                            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thanks for that crazy council. This was the first time a solicitor wrote to me and I felt obliged, to do as they were asking. I told them over the phone, I posted it out. But something was niggling away at me, as it felt wrong, after speaking to them. Hence the forum. I'm not going to stress out now, I will just wait to see what happens. What is their cut off point before the years have passed to when they can no longer pursue this matter? :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

AHH, clearer now:tinysmile_grin_t:
                                You had fire five years ago, and changed insurers four years ago.
                                The insurers that are of interest are those of five years ago.
                                They seem most likely to be RSA, who appear to cover your liability risks.
                                So no panic.

Time limit for bringing liability claims against an individual is six years from the time that an insurance company declines liability (WM Swindon ltd v Quinn Insurance ltd 2010)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X