• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British gas damaged to property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British gas damaged to property

I had a new boiler installed back in March 2014,by a appointed British gas installer ,and a surveyor to make plans for were the pipes from the boiler were to go as it was a condenser boiler.
    The installer came and the boiler was fitted,but he didn't follow the surveyors report and decided to drill holes in my brick wall(my house is only 20 years old) to take the pipes outside when the pipes should have been inside the house,made holes in my splash back,he then finished the job and went,even leaving all the rubbish behind,for me to dispose of when it was his duty.
    i got on to British Gas and they send somebody else and the pipes were corrected and the work was done as the surveyor detailed in his report,having completed the job ,this now left big holes were pipes were and he slapped plaster into the holes and left,I got on to B.G and there forward my complaint to a claims management company who have offered me £400, in full settlement,and if I don't take the offer ,to get in touch with my insurance company.if I go through the insurance I have to pay the first £100 excess and then the insurance will have to pursue them for full settlement of the claim including all cost.can you advise want would be the best course of action.
    all advise welcomed.
    Tags: None

Re: British gas damaged to property

I don't know on what grounds you will be able to claim from your own insurance company. If the original contract was with British Gas then they are absolutely responsible. How much will it cost to correct the damage caused? If it is more than the £400 offered then you should be claiming at least that amount from BG. The claims management company is working for BG and is trying to reduce the amount payable to the least amount they think they can get away with. You could always go in with at least 3 times what is being offered, if that would be acceptable, and see what comes back.

Comment

Agree 100% with Ostell.
      I cannot imagine what section of a household policy you could claim under.
      It's not fire, lightning, explosion or water damage, and certainly not ACCIDENTAL damage.
      Refuse the offer, claim against BG for the cost of correcting the work, plus for stress and inconvenience.

Comment

Advice as per Ostell and Des8.

Don't claim on your house insurance - get your paperwork in order and then sue British Gas.

Comment

When fitting a gas boiler, the engineer is responsible for fitting it according to gas regulations, not to the surveyors drawings.
          On a condensing boiler, wherever possible, the condensate drainage pipe should be terminated at a suitable internal foul water discharge point such as (a) an internal soil and vent stack or (b) an internal kitchen or bathroom waste pipe, washing machine waste pipe etc. A suitable permanent connection to the foul waste pipe should be used.
          Where this is not possible the use of an externally run condensate drainage pipe, terminating at a suitable foul water discharge point or purpose designed soakaway, may be also be considered.
          These are regulations which the engineer must abide by. The surveyor would not necessarily, be gas trained.
          “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X