• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord and estate agent problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord and estate agent problems

Hey folks hope someone can help me with a rental query.

So as my parents lost their house back in 2012 they started to rent this nice big house. As the house hadnt been lived in for a while or due to neglect from the previous occupiers things went horribly wrong, the bath leaked into the livingroom causing a a flood, the en-suite shower leaked into the kitchen(and to this day still does) the new shower that was fitted broke a number of times.

So moving right up to date as in the last couple of months, the electric shower that was fitted after we had moved in decided to pack it in. My mum called the estate agents to get someone to look at it, the guy came out and put a new pull cord on it because the other one had been frazzled(will get to this in a while)
    Say a month after that it goes again and we are left without a shower yet again and my mum calls again to get someone to come out, the guy comes out but cant fix it this time due to an electrical fault with it. So I decided to get my brother inlaw to take a look at it and he showed me the cable that was originally used to wire in the shower was totally wrong and could have caused a fire. I know this because I asked him and i noticed that there was a cinged pull cord at the top where the power came in.

I'm home now and my mum shows me a letter from the estate agents for a bill of £60 from the plumber that obviously sent the bill to them. I know this cant be right and I would really love some guidence on how to deal with this, my mum has tried calling the estate agents but got nothing.

I just thought I would add that the landlord lives in Australia and hasnt replied to the estate agents when they tried to contact them about the showers leaking and not working.
    I hope this makes sense and really hope someone can help me here as I am just trying to help my parents because they have been through enough.
    Tags: None

Re: Landlord and estate agent problems

Hi

The LL and agent would be responsible for anything that goes through to normal wear and tear ( if on standard contract ), but if anything is damaged, its your responsibility. If the plumber/electrician thinks the cord was pulled to hard, then they would consider it your responsibility to pay it.

So I decided to get my brother inlaw to take a look at it and he showed me the cable that was originally used to wire in the shower was totally wrong and could have caused a fire
    Make sure you inform the agent that in writing but CHECK first. 6mm is ok for a shower,

I just thought I would add that the landlord lives in Australia and hasnt replied to the estate agents when they tried to contact them about the showers leaking and not working.

My suggestion, get quotes for the minimum work required ( cheep as poss ), forward them to the agent, ask them if they want you to arrainge the leak repairs. Be nice and polite and helpfull. Agents get stuck in the middle and if the LLs out of the country it can take a bit of time
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
      Hi

The LL and agent would be responsible for anything that goes through to normal wear and tear ( if on standard contract ), but if anything is damaged, its your responsibility. If the plumber/electrician thinks the cord was pulled to hard, then they would consider it your responsibility to pay it.
      It seems quite clear from the above that the whole thing had not been installed properly to start with, very likely the result of using unqualified labourers in an attempt to cut corner$, so can't see how it could be the current tenants' responsibility!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
        Make sure you inform the agent that in writing but CHECK first. 6mm is ok for a show

NO it is not, it is dependant upon shower rating and other factors.

In this case most likely 6mm will be fine, but it needs to be checked.

Comment

2 Points If the Cable to the shower was the wrong size the Qualified Electrician should have disconnected the shower a pull cord can break if pulled to hard easily done.

Is there a safety certificate for the Gas if there is any connected and are the electrics safe this Electrician friend shpuld carry out a survey if the Agents refuse and the Electrician has doubts.

Good or bad House/Landlord /Agent the tenant needs to be sure the place is safe !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X