• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property Information Form Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Information Form Issues

We are in the process of buying a property and the survey has discovered Japanese Knotweed (JK) on a neighbouring property (a farm). Mortgage lenders and RICS guidelines state that if JK is discovered within 7 metres of your boundary then the property is considered as affected.
    The surveyor has stated that technically the property is affected.
    The farmer has agreed but is unwilling (reluctant) to pay a qualified treatment company to perform the eradication. He will do it himself as he is licensed for spraying and can obtain the correct chemicals.

Problem is that on the Property Information Form the vendor is not stating that the JK is affected - simply stating NO and a note to say "JK apparently resides on a neighbouring property"…

Q - Is this illegal as to what he has written and/or illegal that his acting solicitor has sent it through like this?

I already returned it once whenever it simply stated "no" -but all they have done is added a note.
    Tags: None

Re: Property Information Form Issues

hi

Q - Is this illegal as to what he has written and/or illegal that his acting solicitor has sent it through like this?
    is the farmer, the one selling you the land... JK is a nightmare to get rid of, and extremely costly. Last time i checked ( 2004 ) , you needed to remove the ground, and the soils is classed as contaminated. Back yourself up on this properly,
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
      hi

is the farmer, the one selling you the land... JK is a nightmare to get rid of, and extremely costly. Last time i checked ( 2004 ) , you needed to remove the ground, and the soils is classed as contaminated. Back yourself up on this properly,
      No, the house is next door to farm land and it is the vendor not correctly (in my opinion) answering the PIF. Both farmer and vendor admit it is there.

Comment

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/our...iousweeds.aspx might be of oblique help? And

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...695_df1209.pdf

Comment

The relevant gist appears to be that it's the farmer's legal obligation to stop it spreading.

Comment

I would step very carfully with this one

KW, itself, you can live with it, you just have to treat it regularly, not let it get out of hand, The problem being, if your ever ordered to remove it. It used to cost substantially. Things may have changed, but in 2003. to clear land for building on, you needed to remove ground a few meters down, and dispose of that ground as contaminated waste.... ££££££££

The farmer has agreed but is unwilling (reluctant) to pay a qualified treatment company to perform the eradication. He will do it himself as he is licensed for spraying and can obtain the correct chemicals.
            Things may have changed since 2003, but you can not treat KW by just spraying,

Like i said, you can live with it, but, if ever you want to do any type of building or extension... or have a subsidence claim... you will struggle.

have a read of this, https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...695_df1209.pdf

For a negotiating point on price...... i suppose around 8k, i would account for..... but get some proper advise.. depends on the size of the land...
            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

For anyone landing here from Google search etc in 2020 onwards, the answer would be: because of changes to the Seller’s Property Information Form (TA6), you could not put "no" on the form in these circumstances. Any japanese knotweed lawyer would suss-out the non compliance quickly and advise to make a claim for treatment costs (and potentially loss of amenity value in the land)

Notably, the content of the explanatory notes for Qu.7.8 has been updated to include:

The seller should state whether the property is affected by Japanese knotweed. If you are unsure that Japanese knotweed exists above or below ground or whether it has previously been managed on the property, please indicate this as ‘Not known’.”

The note then emphasizes that to answer ‘No’ the seller must be certain that there is no rhizome present in the ground or within 3 metres of the property boundary. It then provides information about the effectiveness of different remediation methods and cautions the seller against assuming treatment will have eradicated the plant.
              See https://hardwicke.co.uk/new-japanese...tion-form-ta6/

​​​​​​​
              Get a free assessment of your case from a japanese knotweed lawyer. See typical compensation amounts typically won by knotweed solicitors.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X