• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

due to delays in rent payments landlord is not able to get rent guarantee insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• due to delays in rent payments landlord is not able to get rent guarantee insurance

Dear All,

I am desperately looking for advice about how to act and what are my rights in the case below.
    In short;
    At 2012 Due to difficult market, unpaid invoices from several clients for the sum close to Ł130.000 my partner was forced to put his company into liquidation. When the company stopped trading and got managed by insolvency practitioner, without even one salary we tried to survive using our personal savings and getting into personal debts. As a business minded people we decided to move on by running another business which we setted up on January 2012. To be able to survive we were also employed (myself part time) in local company. As for a new business it took a lot of our attention and private finances to keep it running. But things were improving.
    As a family of 3 (couple + 1 year old baby boy) we have rented a house in June 2013.
    Sadly few weeks later both me and my partner we have lost our jobs (we have been employed by the same company). But the new business was picking up so we decided to give it all the time we had. Unfortunately we had a problems with cash flow and our rent payments were affected. We had the money coming in but clients were late with payments etc and this was affecting our personal records. the longest delay was 2 months behind (when government took 3 months to return overpaid vat for almost Ł10K). I have always done my best to give the Landlord and the agent full info including sending personal info, gov confirmations that the vat will be returned, accepted quote for new project so they knew that we will be able to pay only again somebody is late while paying us for the job that was done.
    Sadly after one year the Landlord advised by the letting agent refuse extending our contract for another year even if everything is paid up to date. Because of those delays he was refused the rent insurance and he is afraid to keep us as his tenants (the property is kept in immaculate condition). For last 2 months we keep winning a very good clients and things looks great so money problems seems to be gone. But we are working 12-14 hours a day to keep it that way.
    I have been trying to get the landlord the "rent insurance" but sadly as a tenant I am not able to get any information and nobody is talking to me. We have offered him to pay 3 months in advance and keep it that way for another year but he said that without the insurance this is not an option. The insurance companies are dealing behind our back, one of them told me that agent? has already applied for eviction which I am not aware of. We received no paperwork and nobody is talking to us. The market is very poor and there is not many properties available. another problem is that we simply has no time to spend days for looking for a new home, moving all bills again, finding gp for the little one etc. Also this eviction case is probably visible by other companies. Additional due to previous financial trouble the credit score of my other half is very poor.
    Can anyone please advice me what I can do, who can help me with finding the insurance for landlord? I am trying to find another property but with such a mark in our records and so limited properties on the market (we are based outside London) I am very worry. How much time do I have, how can I slow down the process. We are paying the rent still to the agent even if the contract has been finished...
    Please advice, we have been through a lot for last 3 years and my main object now is to keep the business running and growing.

I will be very grateful for any advice/ help offered here.
    Thank you.
    M.
    Tags: None

Re: due to delays in rent payments landlord is not able to get rent guarantee insuran

Hi, firstly

Please advice, we have been through a lot for last 3 years and my main object now is to keep the business running and growing.
    totally understand, and its not how far you fall, its how you climb out that matters.

I was a property agent, so my advise is from experience.

Can anyone please advice me what I can do, who can help me with finding the insurance for landlord?
    You can arrange this as the tenant, but there may be some hurdles, your landlord may be insured on a block policy, and there are lots of caveats.

Sadly after one year the Landlord advised by the letting agent refuse extending our contract for another year even if everything is paid up to date
    usually, there is nothing you can do about this,
    one of them told me that agent? has already applied for eviction which I am not aware of. We received no paperwork and nobody is talking to us.
    am guessing at a section 21. When you first took the contract, am presuming it was fixed term, and they served a section 21 at the same time. If so, that would be the required notice, but not the eviction. Your landlord would have to serve you an eviction notice, BUT you may want to avoid this and negotiate further.
    how can I slow down the process
    Dont think you can on this, but you LL has not served an eviction notice yet..

I suspect your LL and agent are on a block insurance policy any your defaults have disqualified you from this. IE they are not able to carry on, not through there own decision, but due to insurance restrictions. Its the following that makes me suspect so.
    We have offered him to pay 3 months in advance and keep it that way for another year
    I think your best option is going to be negotiated with your LL while your looking for another property, Keep your rent up to date and maybe 1 month in advance at least. I would look at council housing availability as well as private renting, wherever you are. Your current LL and agents hands may be tied
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Re: due to delays in rent payments landlord is not able to get rent guarantee insuran

I fully understand your cash flow problems but, unfortunately, your landlord has no obligation whatsoever to extend your tenancy.

Rent or mortgage should always be the first priority. Any arrears will put you in a risk of losing your home. As simple as that.

Your best option would be to look somewhere else to live. Getting a decent reference from your landlord could be a problem. Having said that, you seem to have enough funds to pay a few months rent in advance, so finding a new place to rent should not be a big problem.

Comment

Dear Crazy Council,
        Dear All,

Firstly thank you for your kind reply.
        Based on your experience if I could take a little bit more of your time.
        As I have mentioned I am not an expert but how I do understand it is:
        If you buying a car, you getting insurance. If you had an accident you are at higher risk but doesn't mean that you are not able to get another insurance. You will probably have to pay premium but this has an explanation. I wouldn't mind to cover the insurance for landlord if this is an issue but can not find anyone to be able to deal with that. you failed with payments...you are bad tenant. Any private brokers who can help even paying premium?
        Do you suggest we should convince landlord to sign short term tenancy agreement for 3 months and pay for those 3 months in advance and then repeat that every 3 months?
        Council housing is not an option,. I do not want to offend people who are living in council houses but we are financially fine now and need to keep particular standard of living due to clients visits, business face etc. The Landlord call today and ask if we could pay 12 months in advance. Bearing in mind the trouble from last year I would't froze such a money in house rent. 30% of that is acceptable but the rest 7-% can already work toward profit like new machinery for workshop etc.
        There must be an option especially as I was thinking even of buying this house in the nearest future (he is considering selling the house). Unfortunately we need 6-8 months to repair our credit score.
        Please advice
        Regards
        Magdalena

Comment

Insurance policies vary. Sometimes it's not possible to get an insurance i.e. properties with subsidence, high risk of flooding, unemployment cover when the company has been down-sizing.

To be completely honest, I think you are looking to fight a fight that you are not going to win.

Comment

Hi

I will get back to you later tonight or in the moring properly, initialy

Do you suggest we should convince landlord to sign short term tenancy agreement for 3 months and pay for those 3 months in advance and then repeat that every 3 months?
            6 month would make the most sense from the LLs perspective, perhaps keeping 3 month in advance.

Council housing is not an option,. I do not want to offend people who are living in council houses but we are financially fine now and need to keep particular standard of living due to clients visits, business face etc.
            you may be surprised at what types of property are available in some areas.... i fully understand your position on this though...

There must be an option especially as I was thinking even of buying this house in the nearest future (he is considering selling the house). Unfortunately we need 6-8 months to repair our credit score.
            you could consider any advance you have to pay as saving for your deposit.. thats definitely the way forward... bigger deposits get over many credit file indiscrepancys..... let me have a good think, and will get back to you. am not sure the insurance issue is get roundable, just due to contractual restrictions for the LL or agents block policy. They tend to cover over insurances on the same policy, like bioler or building or damage. A
            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Dear All,
              Just to let you know, that this kind of battle can be won.
              We have just been accepted by THE SAME rent insurance company that has refused us with current landlord.
              As I could not act myself trying to find company that will give our current landlord insurance (simply nobody wanted to talk to me as I am not a landlord), even when I have offered to pay deposit of 3 months we have been refused.
              I got very, very, very angry as part of our delays in rent payment was a result of government paying our VAT return with 2 months delay which extremely affected our cash flow...
              But the result is that I have found other, more expensive property, we apply same way like before, the company had few extra questions when checking our abilities to pay the rent and bingo...3 days later we have been approved. Apparently this was the same company that my landlord has approach once being refused but previous rent guarantee company...
              So it can be done...for those who have similar problems, do not give up
              Best wishes to all readers.
              Regards
              Magdalena

Comment

Magdalena I am so very pleasedarty:. I am also sure that while you were waiting for some good news good old crazy council helped you get a little peace. He is a clever old beagle!:tongue2:
                Good luck for the future.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                ~ Anonymous

Comment

Nice one glad it worked out well:whoo:

Apparently this was the same company that my landlord has approach once being refused but previous rent guarantee company...
                  Probably just restrictions on his block policy. as an agent, you dont insure individual property's/rent, you buy a block policy that all properties have to qualify for. Some policys have movement room within them,

So it can be done...for those who have similar problems, do not give up
                  Best wishes to all readers.
                  Regards
                  Magdalena
                  Great advise and thats the spirit

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X