• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Forced Key Sub meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced Key Sub meter

Hi,

Can my landlord force me to have a key sub meter installed. I currently pay him direct for electric, though it does not state in my tenancy agreement that I must pay him. Also, he has never shown me an actualbill from the elctricity company, only invoices typed up by the letting ahent with my 'usage'. I have told him I dont want it and I would prefer to pay the elctricity company direct, but he is insisting. I have even told him i will not allow one on the propery, so he said he will be installing it ouside the propery boundary. Surely there is a health and safety issue here too as it is a throughfare for farm traffic that he wants to install it on! He is also going through the process of evicting me under section 8 for 2 months late with rent. The court date is 25th July and we have a very good defence, but I will worry about that when it comes to it. Right now, I just want to sort the electric thing out as we think it may be harrasment. We have already started the process to switch the electric to my name, but as it is currently on a commercial tarrif, it is going totake a couple of weeks, but I do have a contract with my name on.
    Tags: None

Re: Forced Key Sub meter

Originally posted by busby1977 View Post
    Can my landlord force me to have a key sub meter installed. I currently pay him direct for electric, though it does not state in my tenancy agreement that I must pay him. Also, he has never shown me an actualbill from the elctricity company, only invoices typed up by the letting ahent with my 'usage'.
    Sounds like you may be paying more than you should or you would with the meter installed.

Originally posted by busby1977 View Post
    I have told him I dont want it and I would prefer to pay the elctricity company direct, but he is insisting. I have even told him i will not allow one on the propery, so he said he will be installing it ouside the propery boundary. Surely there is a health and safety issue here too as it is a throughfare for farm traffic that he wants to install it on! He is also going through the process of evicting me under section 8 for 2 months late with rent. The court date is 25th July and we have a very good defence, but I will worry about that when it comes to it. Right now, I just want to sort the electric thing out as we think it may be harrasment. We have already started the process to switch the electric to my name, but as it is currently on a commercial tarrif, it is going totake a couple of weeks, but I do have a contract with my name on.
    If he is trying to evict you, I'd say there isn't much point in worrying about the electricity supply at this stage.

What arguments are you using in your defence for not having paid two months rent?

Comment

failing to provide a true statement of accounts will do

Comment

Section 8 is an outomatic order. If you are 8 weeks arears at date of service. And date of court. Its automatic.. the only way to counter a section 8 is to pay up a large part before court.

Your ll has rights to install a seporate meter.
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X