• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax - empty properties premium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: council tax - empty properties premium

Originally posted by timBuckley
    I went in to the council offices recently and spoke to one official who confirmed that their taxation dept had received all my emails with copies of utility bills included. She gave me her name which might be useful when I complain.
    But like I say I now have confirmation from a council official that they have received my emails with the scanned utility bills, even though they have not acknowledged receipt by email.
    "We are very sorry, but we have no record of that conversation".

In writing, always in writing.

Comment

OK Tim, thank you. Yes, as I read it the increase should only be applied after two years. For the benefit of a dope like me, would it be possible to confirm the following timeline:

Jan 2011 Moved into Mobile Home
      Jan 2012 Bought flat - flat empty (CT 6 months @ 50% the up to 100%)
      Dec 2012 Moved into flat after it being empty for 11-12 months
      Jan 2014 CT on flat increased to 150% of charge even though you are living in it.

Now you spend 6 days a week in flat and 1 day a week in Mobile Home so should be liable for 100% CT on both - is that right? If so, my initial suggestion to keep paying and get your MP and Councillor involved stand. Perhaps setting out as above may make it clearer for them? Recent experience with me shows my Councillor to be pretty clueless when it comes to legislation, but hopefully with CT they may be better informed.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
        OK Tim, thank you. Yes, as I read it the increase should only be applied after two years. For the benefit of a dope like me, would it be possible to confirm the following timeline:

Jan 2011 Moved into Mobile Home
        Jan 2012 Bought flat - flat empty (CT 6 months @ 50% the up to 100%)
        Dec 2012 Moved into flat after it being empty for 11-12 months
        Jan 2014 CT on flat increased to 150% of charge even though you are living in it.

Now you spend 6 days a week in flat and 1 day a week in Mobile Home so should be liable for 100% CT on both - is that right? If so, my initial suggestion to keep paying and get your MP and Councillor involved stand. Perhaps setting out as above may make it clearer for them? Recent experience with me shows my Councillor to be pretty clueless when it comes to legislation, but hopefully with CT they may be better informed.

Thanks.
        Yes Wombats you've summarized the timeline and in fact the whole issue better than I did. I will contact my MP and Councillor.
        I'm not giving up on this one :tinysmile_grin_t: Thanks.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for reiterating this Enquirer. I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. I'm going to get printed out copies of all my bills and send them to, the bastards by recorded delivery so that I have a written record of sending them and the council receiving them. Also I will keep copies of any letter I send.
          Will let everyone know how I get on. The encouragement and useful advice I've had from everyone in this forum has been great!

Tim

Comment

If it was a Residential site then CT would be due, but if a Holiday Home license was held on the site where the caravan was and you had to be off site for so many weeks of the year (even 2 weeks) and you had a house where you were registered for CT, no CT would be due on the caravan.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
              If it was a Residential site then CT would be due, but if a Holiday Home license was held on the site where the caravan was and you had to be off site for so many weeks of the year (even 2 weeks) and you had a house where you were registered for CT, no CT would be due on the caravan.
              Thanks for this Enaid. My static mobile home is on a residential site and I have always paid full council tax on it because of that and have no problem with doing so. It's on my flat(my other property) where I spend the vast majority of my time these days that they are levying not just full council tax(which I have no problem with)but 150% council tax on the (false) premise that it has been empty for two years. I've sent them no end of utility bills to demonstrate that it is occupied but have had no response(for over a month) - meanwhile they continue to take the increased amount every month by direct debit.

Best wishes, Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim, was just checking as not all sites are upfront about what kind if license they hold, as in all walks of life there are the naughties.
                Good luck and am pleased you are getting useful advice.
                Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X