• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can a landlord in Scotland make a claim against us in an English Court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a landlord in Scotland make a claim against us in an English Court?

My wife and I recently moved to England from Scotland having lived in rented accomodation. Despite visiting us twice on the day we left, our landlord didn't carry out a final landlord inspection or express any concerns so we assumed everything was ok.

Fast forward a few days and we've received a claim from him for several hundred pounds for alleged damage to the property which we totally refute. He's threatened to travel down to England and take us to an English Small Claims Court and add on his travel and hotel expenses too unless we pay his ridiculous demand.

My question is can he make a claim against us in an English court for alleged damage to a property in Scotland?
    Tags: None

Re: Can a landlord in Scotland make a claim against us in an English Court?

Originally posted by Bungdit Din View Post
    My wife and I recently moved to England from Scotland having lived in rented accomodation. Despite visiting us twice on the day we left, our landlord didn't carry out a final landlord inspection or express any concerns so we assumed everything was ok.

Fast forward a few days and we've received a claim from him for several hundred pounds for alleged damage to the property which we totally refute. He's threatened to travel down to England and take us to an English Small Claims Court and add on his travel and hotel expenses too unless we pay his ridiculous demand.

My question is can he make a claim against us in an English court for alleged damage to a property in Scotland?
    When you say you've received a 'claim', presumably it was just a letter as opposed to a real claim issued through the courts. Can you please clarify?

Did you pay a deposit when you rented the place? Most landlords require at least the equivalent of a month's rent. From March 2011, the requirement to protect deposits that has been around in England since 2007, also applies to Scotland. Did you get your deposit back when you left the property? Deposits are intended to cover any damage caused by tenants.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X