• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Possession hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possession hearing

Hello I am helping a friend with a possession claim. They lost their case at the hearing and a suspended possession order was made/. The judgement was for rent arrears. The notice of intention that preceded it was for a ground other than the payment of rent specifically 'service charges' The actual arrears were service charges not rent My friend represented herself and has applied for leave (and been refused) top appeal on the basis that the Judgement Was for service charges not rent Her landlord would not provide a copy of the tenancy agreement i the 3 weeks before the hearing and so her advisor could not advise her That the arrears of one of the service charges was not a serviuce provided for in the tenancy agreement in actuality and the other service charge had been the subject of a 2 year delay in answering her questions so the escalation of the balance had been largely down to the landlord. It being argued at the hearing that this being a 'discretionary' possession this was a factor that ought to have been considered Anyway the written application for leave to appeal was dismissed Now my friend is applying for an aral hearing of her application for leave. I suggested she get a transcript But the court say this cannot be obtained 'at public expense' (she got her application for leave under a fee remission) and she would have to pay. I think the hearing was quite short 7 or 8 minutes Anyone got any advice on this ? The transcript is a worry but without it the circuit judge who will hear the leave application will only have my friends word to go on and she cannot show she argued (or tried to but apparently was stopped more than once) certain points Thank you

Re: Possession hearing

A few questions -

1. Who was the judge at the original hearing?
    2. Which court did this take place?
    2. Why was your friend stopped from arguing her case?
    3. Who is the circuit judge and at which court is the future hearing to take place?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Service charge should be a general unsecured debt to be pursued as a civil claim rather than rent arrears for which a tenant can be evicted.

Comment

Possible abuse of legal process, Springer Spaniel?
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X