• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbours shed causing damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neighbours shed causing damage

Originally posted by ss581 View Post
    My point is that they should not have erected their shed so close to our wall. The water coming off their shed roof is damaging our wall and leaking into our house. Ie the water diverted is causing a 'nuisance'.

I don't think the surveyor went into their garden but our builder spotted it from our flat roof.
    The obvious response to that is "previous owner shouldn't have built your wall on the boundary" and "if you don't want water penetration, waterproof your wall". If one side can build up to the boundary, so can the other and the damp is happening because of previous owners neglect.
    IMO you would have multiple problems if you tried suing anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      When was the shed erected?
      No idea. We only moved in a year ago.

Comment

Have to agree with Des8 if there are no rules on positioning of shed and it was there before you moved in you may have no case against anyone.if the damp was not evident from inside your property the surveyor I would expect not be liable after all if he cannot see it what can he report.
        Your decision on what to do but I would get the builder or yourself to take the shed down and replce it making sure there is no damage as you will be liable repair and waterproof wall and try to get the neighbour to allow you to move the shed further away

Comment

You are possibly right Wales, because the overhang of the shed roof comes over quite a bit so the builders left enough room not to be too close to the neighbours fence. I think that sounds more logical.
          Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          Tuttsi
          Think there are no rules on siting of a shed an extension can be built close to a boundary as long as no foundation or roof overhang including facis and gutters are within the property boundary iknow ours was 3 iches from the boundary

Comment

Just thought you'd like to know the end of the tale (so far). We got another builder to have a look. He said it was most likely leaking through the flashing at the edges of the flat roof. Didn't mention anything about the neighbours shed or wall. My dad sealed all around that area...no more leaking! Bloody builders.

Comment

And the Neighbour gets an apology .
              At least its sorted

Comment

Thanks for letting us know.
                What did Dad use? Two tubes of silicon

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X