• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenancy Agrreement - Mutual Break Clause

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy Agrreement - Mutual Break Clause

Hi,

I have a clause in my tenancy agreement as follows:

It is further agreed that the tenant may give not less than two months written notice after four months to the landlord and the landlord may not give less than two months written notice after four months to the tenant expiring not sooner than six months after the start of term (or after a similar period following a fixed term extension to the original tenancy). At the end of such notice the tenancy shall end all obligations and responsibilities shall cease; subject nevertheless to any claim by either party against the other in respect of any breach of any of the terms and conditions of the agreement.

Given that the tenancy started on 7th October runs for 12 months, is the earliest I am able to exercise this agreement on 7th February with a view for the contract to be mutually terminated on 7th April?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Tenancy Agrreement - Mutual Break Clause

Anyone advise with this?

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

Any landlord has to give two complete rental periods notice, and cannot end a tenancy before six months unless by court order. For monthly rents this is two complete months notice ending in this case on the 6th of a month. Note that the tenancy started on the 7th October so the next rental period ends on the 6th of November. Four months would end on the 6th February. The next rental period starts on the 7th.

That clause seems to be self written and not entirely correct and open to dispute because it is impossible to follow literally. Most tenancy agreements allow the tenant only one month written notice as it is very hard for anyone to find property that will be available two months in advance.

The problem arises when you have signed a 12 month tenancy, as it is strange to then allow the tenant to leave earlier.

You will need to give written notice, and to be safe ensure it gets there in advance so there is no chance of another period starting and another month's notice being needed, or the notice becoming invalid. Make sure you get a proof of posting which is free from the post office.

But, I would suggest talking to your landlord and seeing if you can come to an arrangement especially if you are thinking of leaving already.

Comment

Originally posted by The Listener View Post
        That clause seems to be self written and not entirely correct and open to dispute because it is impossible to follow literally. Most tenancy agreements allow the tenant only one month written notice . . .

. . . The problem arises when you have signed a 12 month tenancy, as it is strange to then allow the tenant to leave earlier.
        The OP has a 12 month AST which seems to have a break clause at six months which is perfectly normal. This clause has been written into their tenancy agreement in the correct way. Neither party can break the AST until six months have been completed and the method for invoking the break clause is clearly spelt out in that agreement.

The one month notice option is only available to a tenant when the initial fixed period has expired (after 12 months in this case) and the tenant becomes a statutory periodic tenant.

The OP must give notice on or before 7th February to leave the property on 7th April.

Comment

Thanks for your advice - hopefully all will work out for the best!

Comment

Can you say why you want to leave before the 12 months tenancy agreement has expired in case there is something else I can help you with?

I'm a Landlord and I really do understand misunderstandings

Comment

Basically the reason for wanting to leave is the place isn't particularly nice - very basic, the landlord hasn't invested much into the property, there's spots of damp, etc....generally a grim place to live!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X